The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hobbies
(09-18-2020, 06:09 PM)a_Sarah Wrote: @Ismq, what languages are you currently learning or interested in? How do you study them?

I'm currently interested in japanese and arabic.some months ago surprising i started to understand written arabic.now i want to buy books in arabic to progress my arabic.as for japanese it is my best language.i'm not studying japanese by myself but i'm planning to do a course of japanese.
(09-18-2020, 07:11 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote: So what type of bass guitar do you have if I may ask?

And what type of music do you play?

I agree, playing music is soothing and I also think it helps release some stress while unleashing our inner creativeness!

It is a Harley Benton longscale bass, that's the "no brand"-brand of a huge music store here. I got it in a low-cost beginner set, but am really impressed by the quality and don't intend to upgrade (buying an additional five-string bass on the other hand seems very tempting). I am also still a beginner, so it matches, Smile

I like to play metal and rock, but am apparently mellowing out a bit and am at the moment looking into more upbeat songs and classics with famous baselines. It always surprised people to hear about my lack of knowledge in that regard (in the sense that certain lines are kind of expected to be known by bassists), so I got curious and now enjoy learning about completely different "flavours" of songs. That also is a bit of a time travel across several decades while listening, really fun to discover all these gems. I am mostly still at the "playing along to youtube bass sheets" phase, though. But I also like to just play some meditative melodies, or to try and improvise together with some very patient friends.

Ismq, cool! Arabic has the reputation of being such an intimidating language! Can you confirm that or what was your experience learning it like? What interests you about Japanese, do you intend to travel there once it will be possible?
(09-18-2020, 09:22 PM)a_Sarah Wrote:
(09-18-2020, 07:11 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote: So what type of bass guitar do you have if I may ask?

And what type of music do you play?

I agree, playing music is soothing and I also think it helps release some stress while unleashing our inner creativeness!

Ismq, cool! Arabic has the reputation of being such an intimidating language! Can you confirm that or what was your experience learning it like? What interests you about Japanese, do you intend to travel there once it will be possible?

My experience with arabic is that i studied basic arabic grammar(with a book),and studied the arabic verb and gained vocabulary(with dictionary)and as i said before,i started to understand arabic.for me arabic is not VERY difficult as japanese.with effort trying to read arabic but first study grammar,vocabulary,conjugations one can begin to understand written arabic.As for japanese,i loved it when i started to investigate this language.i think that its structure is beautiful and also has a vast grammar.maybe i love japanese also because is difficult.
SMR,

I can't figure out why I never forced you to go out to karaoke with me while I was in the city. I used to have a different karaoke place every night when I was in Manhattan. I had places from 57th and 7th all the way down to Christopher Street. I used to sing at the Duplex with a piano man. I would beg until they let me sing, and then they'd let me keep going. Met some awesome people down there.

I should have begged you to stay later in the city to go out to have a drink and sing karaoke!!

I tend to compartmentalize the people that I know. I would meet you for books and conversation, not for music and drinking. I should have thought to invite you out, and now I feel like I missed an opportunity for some real laughs!

Anyway, this hobby thread is pretty cool! We've got some talented and smart people here. Smile
If we didn't compartmentalize, we'd all go crazy.  That is a healthy thing.  I've said before, Jason, you have an amazing singing voice and should use it often.  I fully enjoyed and appreciated listening again.  Thank you.  Music is another layer to our complex yet very human dimension that we should pursue more of for the mere reason it is so incredibly healthy for us.

The ukulele is my happy instrument, my outlet,  and the older folk music songs are my favorites. This thread has inspired me to not lose touch with the few chords I've already learned and sing too.  I hope you and Searchin can have that fun night of singing and karaoke.

Great thread!
[quote pid='3428' dateline='1600560710']
The ukulele is my happy instrument, my outlet,  and the older folk music songs are my favorites. 
[/quote]

That means that besides canning food you have another hobby: music.
It is great to see that you all are so passionate about your interests! Jason and smr (and also Dana and whoever else has musical ambitions), if you all like to create music and have currently some free time, why not create some music together online? If you have a computer and a microphone, you could either just meet and play/sing together or practice and record your parts and then put it together afterwards. And of course then share it here for us all to enjoy. Big Grin

A friend of mine is in a choir and they recently sang together via Zoom! It went astonishingly well.

You also might even bring the Karaoke to your home instead of having to meet across the world for that. There surely must be some youtube karaoke channels. Meet in a Zoom room, assemble some nice beverages, watch it together and sing. Smile
(09-20-2020, 12:11 AM)Dana Wrote: If we didn't compartmentalize, we'd all go crazy.  That is a healthy thing.  I've said before, Jason, you have an amazing singing voice and should use it often.  I fully enjoyed and appreciated listening again.  Thank you.  Music is another layer to our complex yet very human dimension that we should pursue more of for the mere reason it is so incredibly healthy for us.

The ukulele is my happy instrument, my outlet,  and the older folk music songs are my favorites. This thread has inspired me to not lose touch with the few chords I've already learned and sing too.  I hope you and Searchin can have that fun night of singing and karaoke.

Great thread!

"My happy instrument." I love that idea. Smile
(09-19-2020, 10:26 PM)Jason Wrote: SMR,

I can't figure out why I never forced you to go out to karaoke with me while I was in the city. I used to have a different karaoke place every night when I was in Manhattan. I had places from 57th and 7th all the way down to Christopher Street. I used to sing at the Duplex with a piano man. I would beg until they let me sing, and then they'd let me keep going. Met some awesome people down there.

I should have begged you to stay later in the city to go out to have a drink and sing karaoke!!

I tend to compartmentalize the people that I know. I would meet you for books and conversation, not for music and drinking. I should have thought to invite you out, and now I feel like I missed an opportunity for some real laughs!

Anyway, this hobby thread is pretty cool! We've got some talented and smart people here. Smile

Well, you probably wouldn't have had to "force" me, I probably would have wanted to go!

Seems like it would have been fun, sorry I missed it.

We didn't always compartmentalize as i do remember going to a couple of electronic stores with you.

But we did have fun with the things we did do together and I'll always remember them!
(09-20-2020, 01:05 PM)a_Sarah Wrote: ...If you have a computer and a microphone, you could either just meet and play/sing together or practice and record your parts...
[center] Big Grin

[Image: people-in-the-sixties-ibetter-notsay-tha...445132.png][/center]