The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hebrew Word for Obey
(01-09-2019, 02:30 AM)searchinmyroots Wrote: I am reading another one of Rabbi Sacks books titled "Ceremony and Celebration"

On page 191 in the chapter where he writes about Pesah he says -

One of the most striking facts about biblical Hebrew is that, despite the Torah containing 613 commandments, it contains no word that means "to obey". Modern Hebrew had to adopt the Aramaic word letzayet. The word the Torah uses instead of "to obey" is shema, a word that means "to listen, to hear, to understand, to internalize, and to respond."

That is amazing as I never knew that!!

If you read most English translations, it uses the word obey quite often. Many times we are told by Christians, we cannot obey the law perfectly. Of course we know we cannot and never were told to or meant to. But this carries a whole new meaning to me. Now I can respond by saying the Torah never says to obey the law! Okay, the meaning "respond" may be close, but it isn't obey.

That's great. Thanks.
(01-16-2019, 01:06 AM)searchinmyroots Wrote: I was thinking about this a little more and came to the conclusion that you usually don't ask your children to obey (although sometimes we may use those words). We command dogs and animals to obey when we are training them.

I would have to think this might be similar to what Rabbi Sacks is saying.

We don't want to train our children or others like animals, we want them to listen, to hear, to understand, to internalize, and to respond.

Not that they always do, but at least that is the intent.

Excellent point Searchinmyroots!  The Hebrew word for educate is חֲנֹךְ.  The terrible English translation, train is used in Proverbs 22 v. 6.  Children are educated, animals are not.