The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheap or free ways to get speaking after you’ve tried the apps
Question 
I completed Pimsleur’s course (all 3 levels) and have spent a great deal of time on apps like Duo Lingo. In some ways I feel I’m not even as proficient now as I was at this point a year or 2 ago.

I tried the private company that advertises its overpriced lessons through a (somewhat fake) affiliation with Hebrew University but I didn’t like it because they grouped me with people who were completely new, the software was somewhat glitchy and the price point was too high for me. Are there any good alternatives I’m missing where I could practice speaking with real people?
I'll tutor you in Hebrew for $15/hour. I can help with reading, with conversation, with grammar, vocab, etc. It's the standard rate for one-on-one tutoring. I use Zoom and Skype.

Pimsleur is pretty cool. I recommend it to people. Do you have any books that you might want to use for reading material? Reading is important for expanding vocabulary and encountering idiomatic expressions.

Stephen Krashen has some important publications (which he gives away for free on his website sdkrashen.com) concerning the importance of what he calls "free voluntary reading." As a beginner in the language, it's important to get simplified stories that you can read pretty regularly.
(12-10-2020, 03:32 AM)Jason Wrote: I'll tutor you in Hebrew for $15/hour. I can help with reading, with conversation, with grammar, vocab, etc. It's the standard rate for one-on-one tutoring. I use Zoom and Skype.

Jason,

I would love to be tutored through the Ivrit Shalav Gimmel book, if you still have the book and are willing to go through it with me.   The comprehension of reading exercises is my main goal and reading aloud the Q&A after each exercise. Afterwards, possibly moving on to the 4th series of Modern Hebrew Prose and Poetry by Ora Band. Just a goal.  

If so, maybe we can make arrangements on the best time, and whether to use Zoom or Skype through a PM.

I've retained a decent vocabulary and reading flow, but have not kept up with the studies.   I couldn't think of a better tutor than you for Hebrew.