The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Watership Down
I'm currently watching the Netflix/BBC series Watership Down.  I loved the book and the original movie, of course.  In fact, I still get chills when I hear Art Garfunkel sing "Bright Eyes" (which he did at a recent concert at NYC's City Winery).  I can't say I was overly thrilled with the Netflix/BBC series when I first started watching it, but it has now grown on me.  It certainly has the dark elements of the novel and the original movie, and I especially like the way that the rabbits have more individualized personalities than they had in the movie, and how the female rabbits are also represented more.

While searching online for a Hebrew translation of Watership Down (I wanted to see whether Hebrew names of herbs and wildflowers might have been used for the rabbits' names by some translator), I came across this article from The Forward:

https://forward.com/culture/film-tv/4029...ship-down/

I found it interesting, and I hadn't known this fact, which was mentioned by the author:  "The book of Exodus provides the greatest parallel between Jews and rabbits, which have cropped up in many older haggadot. Typically, Jews are represented as hares fleeing from hunters and dogs."

The author mentioned a few other parallels between Watership Down and the Jewish experience, but what he didn't mention was the "all the world will be your enemy" quote from the novel, which Frith (God) proclaims to the legendary first rabbit.

Anyway, are there any others here who have enjoyed Watership Down?  Do you see anything in the novels or film productions that remind you of things Jewish?

[Image: Fxc4Kr0.jpg?1]
Heart !לחיים

That's a beautiful song Channalee !

Thanks!  The song is about death, of course, and probably one of the most beautiful songs written and sung on that theme.  I knew you would appreciate it, Baruch.

Is it a kind of a dream
Floating out on the tide
Following the river of death downstream
Oh, is it a dream?
There's a fog along the horizon
A strange glow in the sky
And nobody seems to know where it goes
And what does it mean?
Oh, is it a dream?

Bright eyes, burning like fire
Bright eyes, how can you close and fail?
How can the light that burned so brightly
Suddenly burn so pale?
Bright eyes

Is it a kind of a shadow
Reaching into the night
Wandering over the hills unseen
Or is it a dream?
There's a high wind in the trees
A cold sound in the air
And nobody ever knows when you go
And where do you start?
Oh, into the dark