The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Use and extinction of the tradional pronunciations
https://ketab3.files.wordpress.com/2014/...pes-qu.pdf

I enjoy the diversity in the pronunciation traditions tabulated on pp. 556–557, studying them, and using them. My questions are these:

1. Why are none of these pronunciations used in everyday conversation? The only answer I've heard is "it would sound ridiculous," but I assume that's only because nobody does it. I'm more interested in Biblical/liturgical Hebrew anyway, but I'm still curious about this.

2. As a non-Jew, am I allowed to use these pronunciations? Am I contributing to their longevity by using them?

3. What should I do when one of these pronunciations goes extinct? For example, I believe the Aramaic-speaking tradition is on its way out. I've made my own version of this table; would I have to remove pronunciations as they go extinct? I don't want to do that, nor do I want to stop using any of them...
Photo 
I do use Askenazi pronouncation, in my day to day life, when teaching I use usually modern Israeli, but my daughter I am gonna teach Ashkenazic, there is advantage from the understanding point of you.

I guess you are not contributing, because Ladino is dead, Yiddish is alived, you need to have real B I G group in order to achieve to keep it alive[Image: kamac-vs-patach.png]
(01-13-2021, 12:18 PM)zeev.breiner@gmail.com Wrote: I do use Askenazi pronouncation, in my day to day life, when teaching I use usually modern Israeli, but my daughter I am gonna teach Ashkenazic, there is advantage from the understanding point of you.

I guess you are not contributing, because Ladino is dead, Yiddish is alived, you need to have real B I G group in order to achieve to keep it alive[Image: kamac-vs-patach.png]

I don't want to relegate any of the traditions mentioned in the encyclopedia I linked to the dustbin of history. Am I going to have to if the Jewish groups that use them (none of which I'm a part of) stop doing so?