The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Life
As we get older most start thinking more about life, what it is and what it means.

So here is what I came up with so far, 4 different things. They aren't necessarily biblical and I'm not trying to bring anything from the bible into the conversation.

Just interested for now in what you think, to see if I can add anything to my own personal thoughts.

1 - Survival

We probably take a lot for granted nowadays since most things are much easier than in days of long ago. We really don't have to worry as much about shelter, where our food is going to come from and if we can recover from many illnesses since we have modern medicine and science.

But in my opinion, we are still always in survival mode from the minute we wake up. We need to nourish our bodies with food and water. We need to have shelter that provides some sort of comfort during the extremes, whether it be in the winter or summer. We need to clothe ourselves, or at least protect our bodies from the elements. It used to be a much harder task to do these what we might think are simple everyday things but long ago it basically took up a good part if not all of the day.

2 - Adaptation

So, to keep it simple, we must adapt! Or we should be looking how to because life we always be changing. Yes, some things remain the same but as time goes on many things change. It’s nice to remember how things were if they were good, but whether we like it or not, life throws us unexpected and unwanted things that we may need to adapt to. I think a good example may be all of the things we had to adapt to just during this past year! Do we adapt to keep moving forward and live our lives? Some do and unfortunately, some don't.

3 – Use of our Talents

We are all unique and have certain talents. I think we need to try and find out what it is we do best or at least do good and use it to help ourselves while also finding a way to help others. It is in my opinion what makes life progress. I need what you can provide and you may need what I have to contribute.

4 – Pleasure

Yes, we all need to feel good! Of course in moral ways. There is so much in this world that can give us pleasure, we just need to realize what it may be and for lack of a better term, “suck it in”. Some may find pleasure in music, others in the beauty of nature, some with science, others with arts, literature or history. Whatever it is, there is enough out there and probably more to be discovered for us to find something that gives us pleasure. That is, without hurting ourselves or hurting others.

So what are your thoughts on what we are doing here on this earth?

Remember, I know there are many religious views on this, but I’m trying to keep away from that for now.

Thanks!
Well, for number 1 (Survival) I think you are presenting a westernized view. There are plenty of people in the world who do have to worry about shelter, food and illness. Hopefully that changes with time.
I'm not so certain adaptation for its own sake is a healthy avenue. Adapt to what exactly?  In the course of normal life events, yes, we need to adapt as we are able with the help of family and support groups.

However, with the rise and speed of technological advances almost every aspect of our lives have changed.  I'm not so sure for the better.

Did you hear the one about the woman that asked the Amish man why his community did not wear masks or show alarm over the virus?  His response was that they don't have television.

I have such admiration for the Amish people and their simple life styles. That would include the Hasidic as well with their limited use of the internet outside the home. Home life and community is kept simple and meaningful. That is wisdom and an example of healthy living as I see it.  

So while I agree we need to adapt,  I also think we need to be careful on what we embrace as normal and worthy of adapting to.
I would add playing. It's similar to pleasure but with no specific goal ore outcome in mind. Like a child or a cat.
(02-12-2021, 11:48 PM)Chavak Wrote: Well, for number 1 (Survival) I think you are presenting a westernized view. There are plenty of people in the world who do have to worry about shelter, food and illness. Hopefully that changes with time.

Yes, you are right!

There are still many places in the world where survival is not taken for granted and is an everyday struggle, as strange as that may be  and sound in today's modern times.

So that still makes it front and center whether we realize it or not!
(02-13-2021, 01:24 PM)Dana Wrote: I'm not so certain adaptation for its own sake is a healthy avenue. Adapt to what exactly?  In the course of normal life events, yes, we need to adapt as we are able with the help of family and support groups.

However, with the rise and speed of technological advances almost every aspect of our lives have changed.  I'm not so sure for the better.

Did you hear the one about the woman that asked the Amish man why his community did not wear masks or show alarm over the virus?  His response was that they don't have television.

I have such admiration for the Amish people and their simple life styles. That would include the Hasidic as well with their limited use of the internet outside the home. Home life and community is kept simple and meaningful. That is wisdom and an example of healthy living as I see it.  

So while I agree we need to adapt,  I also think we need to be careful on what we embrace as normal and worthy of adapting to.

I wasn't thinking of anything specific to adapt to, but you have brought up some good points which brings more to the conversation, thank you!

So society changes and I guess we need to figure out what is important that needs adapting to and what might not be that important that adds unnecessary stress to our lives.

But as you mentioned, the normal course of life will bring situations where we need to adapt. It may be family situations but it also may be other uncontrollable or unforeseen things such as (G-d forbid) losing a house or ones belongings from a weather related issue. Or changing careers, trying a new hobby, learning something that is difficult.

I think life provides us lifelong opportunities to adapt. Some things we will be better at than others and as you said, some things maybe we shouldn't even try to!
(02-13-2021, 07:04 PM)Blue Bird Wrote: I would add playing. It's similar to pleasure but with no specific goal ore outcome in mind. Like a child or a cat.

Yes, I would definitely put playing in the pleasure category!

Something that is satisfying whether we learn from it or if we just "veg out" with no purpose in mind!
(02-15-2021, 12:18 AM)searchinmyroots Wrote:
(02-13-2021, 07:04 PM)Blue Bird Wrote: I would add playing. It's similar to pleasure but with no specific goal ore outcome in mind. Like a child or a cat.

Yes, I would definitely put playing in the pleasure category!

Something that is satisfying whether we learn from it or if we just "veg out" with no purpose in mind!

You are right! Playing is a pleasure and satisfying. What is "veg out"? Funny expression, Google says it means "Gemüse raus" =  bring vegetables out.
(02-15-2021, 06:29 PM)Blue Bird Wrote: What is "veg out"? Funny expression, Google says it means "Gemüse raus" =  bring vegetables out.

Ah, didn't realize it may be an expression others are not familiar with.

I think it means to just hang out with nothing on your mind, to just relax and enjoy the moment.
(02-15-2021, 07:40 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote:
(02-15-2021, 06:29 PM)Blue Bird Wrote: What is "veg out"? Funny expression, Google says it means "Gemüse raus" =  bring vegetables out.

Ah, didn't realize it may be an expression others are not familiar with.

I think it means to just hang out with nothing on your mind, to just relax and enjoy the moment.

I like the slang and will remember veg out. 

Surely native speakers know this expression. English is a foreign language for me and I am learning.