The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General: No Opportunity reading the Tanakh
Shalom,

I wanted to ask if I could read the christian old testament as a Jew. Or is it too different, or something else - which I really hope it isn't because that would mean that I can't read the Tanakh. 

I have no way of reading the Tanakh, because it doesn't exist in my language and the only way would be to read the christian bible - which is available in my language. It would be a protestant bible, but I could get another one if necessary. I know I can read the tanakh online. however, it is then only in English and I am not so capable of the English language, that I could read it "normally" and understand it (Translator isn't really an option because that would mean that I have to look up almost every third word or so, unfortunately).

Thank you very much in advance!

Niv
Hello Niv and welcome to the forum.

Just to let you know, the first 3 posts are moderated to help keep out spam and bots.

If I may ask, what language are looking for to read the Tanach?

You seem to be writing your post in English very well, do you know how to write in English but not read it?

I'm just trying to understand your situation a little better.
(02-15-2021, 12:03 AM)searchinmyroots Wrote: Hello Niv and welcome to the forum.

Just to let you know, the first 3 posts are moderated to help keep out spam and bots.

If I may ask, what language are looking for to read the Tanach?

You seem to be writing your post in English very well, do you know how to write in English but not read it?

I'm just trying to understand your situation a little better.
Thank you! 

I am born and raised in Germany so it would have been best if it were available in german. I forgot to mention that I am looking for an online option because the physical Tanakh in german should be available but I definitely can‘t buy it for a reason. 

To be honest I translated my question with google translate. I can speak and read only „conversational“ english, but not more than that. I tried once to read the tanakh (that is the old testament because of my problem) but it was really hard. I needed way too much time for like 15 chapters and it is difficult to get the meaning of things written.
Thanks for the clarification!

I'm not sure if the Tanach is available in German, maybe someone else here can answer that question.

To answer your question though, I would say you can read the Christian Old Testament, but be aware it may not always have the correct translation and can leave a lot out of what the text actually means.

You could always read it and then ask questions here if you have any questions or want to verify something.
(02-15-2021, 12:26 AM)searchinmyroots Wrote: Thanks for the clarification!

I'm not sure if the Tanach is available in German, maybe someone else here can answer that question.

To answer your question though, I would say you can read the Christian Old Testament, but be aware it may not always have the correct translation and can leave a lot out of what the text actually means.

You could always read it and then ask questions here if you have any questions or want to verify something.

I'm very glad to hear that, honestly! Yes I will do that, again, thank you very much!
There's a Jewish translation of the Tanakh into German by Martin Buber and Franz Rosenzweig. I don't know much about it, but I've heard it may be a very literal translation, in other words not into idiomatic German. I've also heard that it was controversial but I'm not sure why. It's available on Amazon here. Perhaps you can find it elsewhere also.

There was also a translation of the Torah done by Moses Mendelssohn in the 18th century. He also translated other parts of the Tanakh, but I don't know if he ever completed a full translation or if was ever collected into a single book.
Thanks Robrecht, great info!
Thank you Robrecht. Yes I looked it up but it isn‘t possible to deliver it here to germany. Actually I tried changing the location to other countries and still the same.
Here's an electronic version for $20, but you may need to also buy a version of this program to use it. There's a free "Lite" version of the program. Not sure if that would work for reading the Buber-Rosenzweig German translation. The basic paid version of the program is $60.
Here's a free, on-line version of the Buber-Rosenzweig German translation.