The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General: Book recommendations / discussions
Martin Luther didn't like it either.
בקש שלום ורדפהו
(01-16-2019, 02:09 AM)nili Wrote:
(01-16-2019, 12:42 AM)Chavak Wrote:
(01-16-2019, 12:36 AM)nili Wrote: One of my least favorite Jewish 'holidays' has always been Purim, but the JPS Bible Commentary: Esther (by Adele Berlin) has done much to make the text more palatable to me.

What have you not liked about Purim?

He wanted to kill us. We turned the tide. Yay us - let's relish our victory by slaughtering  them by the thousands. Please pass the hamentashen.

This presupposes that the Jews of that ancient time actually had a choice in the matter regarding how to survive and protect themselves.  I don't think that the story of Esther could have possibly had a happy ending for everyone involved.  The moral of the story (for those who would destroy us) is: "That's what you get."
Heart !לחיים

(02-18-2019, 12:32 PM)Channalee Wrote:
(01-16-2019, 02:09 AM)nili Wrote:
(01-16-2019, 12:42 AM)Chavak Wrote:
(01-16-2019, 12:36 AM)nili Wrote: One of my least favorite Jewish 'holidays' has always been Purim, but the JPS Bible Commentary: Esther (by Adele Berlin) has done much to make the text more palatable to me.

What have you not liked about Purim?

He wanted to kill us. We turned the tide. Yay us - let's relish our victory by slaughtering  them by the thousands. Please pass the hamentashen.

This presupposes that the Jews of that ancient time actually had a choice in the matter regarding how to survive and protect themselves.  I don't think that the story of Esther could have possibly had a happy ending for everyone involved.  The moral of the story (for those who would destroy us) is: "That's what you get." [emphasis added - nili]

Interesting sentence.

Let me again recommend Berlin's excellent commentary.
To be is to stand for. - Abraham Joshua Heschel
I just wanted to thank everyone who gave their suggestions! This gave me (and hopefully others that stumble upon that thread) quite the long reading list. Smile

For those that also recommended Telushkin, how do you feel his writings have influenced you? Maybe it is because I'm new to Judaism in general, but there are so many "oooh, that makes sense"-moments in it for me. It is so enjoyable to read, yet feels so profound at the same time and just makes you (or at least, me) want to start becoming a slightly better person right away.

I really enjoy how applicable everything he writes is. And it always seems to come just at the right time to try to improve a certain mindsets or behaviors (or maybe there are learning opportunities all around and his writings just make them more salient/ oneself more aware). I'm parallel reading the day-to-day book of values and I cannot even begin to describe how much reading this and his take on Jewish Ethics currently means to me. So, thank you!
(03-20-2019, 10:34 PM)a_Sarah Wrote: For those that also recommended Telushkin, how do you feel his writings have influenced you?

Thanks so much for posting . . . I started reading his books years ago. I'm still reading them, and what I find amazing is that when I started reading his work,  much of it seemed like an outside idea or alternative higher mindset. I use to say things like " This Rabbi thinks of things this way " It could be on just about any subject. Fast forward a decade and it's not so much saying what he thinks . . . Because it's now the way I think too.

I still stumble in life. But not as much as I use to. And those books are the reason. Those books ( His thinking ) is a type of 'Grace'  It's a touch of deep truth, that when we become open enough to accept that this is the way we should be, and we become open to change, we can build enhanced inner character. It starts with small pieces here and there. . . But it adds up over time.
Being this is the book section, I am wondering if anyone has heard of or read this one -

[Image: 51p-XiHx2iL._SX336_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]

Please let me know.

Thanks!
(05-10-2019, 07:54 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote: Being this is the book section, I am wondering if anyone has heard of or read this one -

Please let me know.

Thanks!
No, but it looks interesting. I heard Dennis Prager just released The Rational Bible-Genesis. For some reason he started with Exodus and just released the new volume. Haven't has a chance to look at either but I like Prager so I will have to check them out.
(05-10-2019, 11:11 PM)Chavak Wrote:
(05-10-2019, 07:54 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote: Being this is the book section, I am wondering if anyone has heard of or read this one -

Please let me know.

Thanks!
No, but it looks interesting. I heard Dennis Prager just released The Rational Bible-Genesis. For some reason he started with Exodus and just released the new volume. Haven't has a chance to look at either but I like Prager so I will have to check them out.

I actually downloaded a sample of his Exodus book. Haven't really dug into it yet, but now you've given me incentive to do so!

I don't remember where I downloaded it from but it may have been Amazon as I just found his Genesis book Sample in a Kindle format - https://www.amazon.com/Rational-Bible-Ge...oding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07Q4QXVKX&pd_rd_r=773fbf36-3d19-46a3-a978-2e0daf45cace&pd_rd_w=0i3LW&pd_rd_wg=vIbTO&pf_rd_p=67aa5820-8762-4202-90ba-881bb99c913c&pf_rd_r=F5VYZSSATK6TBWK73TAF&psc=1&refRID=F5VYZSSATK6TBWK73TAF
(05-12-2019, 03:47 AM)searchinmyroots Wrote:
(05-10-2019, 11:11 PM)Chavak Wrote:

Please let me know.

Thanks!

I actually downloaded a sample of his Exodus book. Haven't really dug into it yet, but now you've given me incentive to do so!

I don't remember where I downloaded it from but it may have been Amazon as I just found his Genesis book Sample in a Kindle format - https://www.amazon.com/Rational-Bible-Ge...oding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07Q4QXVKX&pd_rd_r=773fbf36-3d19-46a3-a978-2e0daf45cace&pd_rd_w=0i3LW&pd_rd_wg=vIbTO&pf_rd_p=67aa5820-8762-4202-90ba-881bb99c913c&pf_rd_r=F5VYZSSATK6TBWK73TAF&psc=1&refRID=F5VYZSSATK6TBWK73TAF

Thanks for mentioning Dennis Prager. I downloaded the free kindle version of Genesis, chapter 6, and have decided to purchase both hard copies of Genesis and Exodus.  His essay about Noah People are to be Judged by The Standards of Their Time, Not of Ours,  I feel, is not just exceptional reasoning but relevant for today.
You are welcome Dana!

If I remember correctly, you have been following Dennis Prager for quite some time, correct?