The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "" - Line: 1584 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 1584 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/functions_post.php 203 usergroup_displaygroup
/showthread.php 1118 build_postbit
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 1588 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 1588 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 1588 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "useravatar" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(938) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(938) : eval()'d code 6 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/functions_post.php 938 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "userstars" - Line: 11 - File: inc/functions_post.php(938) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(938) : eval()'d code 11 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/functions_post.php 938 eval
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shalom
What a pleasant discovery!

My name is Jay. I am a 73 year old Reform Jew who has lived for most of those years in the Chicago area. Those familiar with RF may know me as Jayhawker Soule

I am curious about Israelite history and deeply interested in Torah.

L'shalom ...
Welcome Jay - Really glad you joined. Our forum is recovering from a crash. Maybe you can help us get back on our feet. We love to discuss Torah and everything Jewish.
Hi Jay, welcome! What is RF?
Welcome to the forum Jay, glad you found us!

Looking forward to seeing more of your posts. Smile
Welcome, Jay!  As a name nerd, I just have to ask you about your screen name, nili.  Did you choose it for the Hebrew acrostic from 1 Samuel 15:29:
נֵ֣צַח יִשְׂרָאֵ֔ל לֹ֥א יְשַׁקֵּ֖ר  ("The strength of Israel will not lie.")?

Smile
Heart !לחיים

(01-15-2019, 11:10 PM)Unili Wrote: What a pleasant discovery!

My name is Jay. I am a 73 year old Reform Jew who has lived for most of those years in the Chicago area. Those familiar with RF may know me as Jayhawker Soule

L'shalom ...

I don't why you feel the need for a new screen name here. On every forum I know of where you hang your hat it's been as Jayhawker Soule. I think I'd go bonkers if I had to remember different screen names on different forums. .....and I'm two years younger than you!

A word to other forum members - Don't be misled by Jay's diffident introduction. He is extremely well read, knowledgeable, and a quality thinker.

Welcome to the forum, my friend.
בקש שלום ורדפהו
(01-16-2019, 02:17 AM)Channalee Wrote: Welcome, Jay!  As a name nerd, I just have to ask you about your screen name, nili.  Did you choose it for the Hebrew acrostic from 1 Samuel 15:29:

Smile

Almost forgot!  Have an anagram of your screen identity:

Jaala Yekusiel Ironhawk
= Nili a.k.a. Jayhawker Soule

Jaala (יעלה):  Hebrew/Aramaic name, meaning "wild goat."

Yekusiel (יקותאל):  Ashkenazic form of the Hebrew name Yekutiel, meaning "God will nourish."
Heart !לחיים

(01-16-2019, 02:33 AM)RabbiO Wrote:
(01-15-2019, 11:10 PM)Unili Wrote: What a pleasant discovery!

L'shalom ...

I don't why you feel the need for a new screen name here. On every forum I know of where you hang your hat it's been as Jayhawker Soule. I think I'd go bonkers if I had to remember different screen names on different forums. .....and I'm two years younger than you!

A word to other forum members - Don't be misled by Jay's diffident introduction. He is extremely well read, knowledgeable, and a quality thinker.

Welcome to the forum, my friend.

Thank you - for both the welcome and the very kind words. You're one of the people I most appreciate.

As for different names on different forums, I've chosen to downsize by (a) backing out of RF and (b) adopting a name requiring far fewer letters.
(01-16-2019, 02:46 AM)Channalee Wrote:
(01-16-2019, 02:17 AM)Channalee Wrote: Welcome, Jay!  As a name nerd, I just have to ask you about your screen name, nili.  Did you choose it for the Hebrew acrostic from 1 Samuel 15:29:

Smile

Jaala Yekusiel Ironhawk

Yekusiel (יקותאל):  Ashkenazic form of the Hebrew name Yekutiel, meaning "God will nourish."

Thank you for the name. I love the way it rolls off the tongue, and Jaalah strikes me as an excellent pseudonym. 

As for nili, yes, it is the acronym of the Aaronsohn spy ring (probably not too well known outside of Zichron Yaakov). 

It's an interesting bit of history and, for whatever reason, I've always found it particularly poignant that Sarah Aaronson died on Simchat Torah. For those living in or visiting Israel, Beit Aaronsohn is worth a visit (perhaps en route to the Tulip Winery).
(01-16-2019, 03:05 PM)nili Wrote:
(01-16-2019, 02:46 AM)Channalee Wrote:

Smile

Jaala Yekusiel Ironhawk

Thank you for the name. I love the way it rolls off the tongue, and Jaalah strikes me as an excellent pseudonym. 

As for nili, yes, it is the acronym of the Aaronsohn spy ring (probably not too well known outside of Zichron Yaakov). 

It's an interesting bit of history and, for whatever reason, I've always found it particularly poignant that Sarah Aaronson died on Simchat Torah. For those living in or visiting Israel, Beit Aaronsohn is worth a visit (perhaps en route to the Tulip Winery).

I just finished reading about Sarah Aaronsohn.  What an inspiring woman!  So brave, and she endured so much.  Her empathy for the Armenians who were being horribly exterminated by the Ottoman Empire especially impressed me.

Thanks for mentioning her!
Heart !לחיים