The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just an idea - talking about the H.B.?
Get some well deserved rest Bluebird!

I think you may be referring to the Oral Torah as the "other" texts?

Basically, there is a thought in some streams of Judaism that you need the Oral Torah to explain the Written Torah. So for instance when G-d instructs us not to work on the Sabbath, what exactly is the explanation of what that work is we're not supposed to do? There are many, many other examples of this in the Hebrew bible.

So it is written that if there is a question, to take it to the elders (Deuteronomy 17:12). Obviously, what "work" is has changed over the last couple of thousands of years, so how do we bring our present day situation into what was instructed way back then?

There are those who do not believe in the Oral Torah. But in some sense, if they follow any of the instructions that aren't clearly defined, they are probably making one of their own.

There are signs of an Oral Torah written in the Hebrew bible.

Here is an example - 

Nehemiah 10:32 shows us we were not supposed to buy things on the Sabbath or other holidays. Obviously, that isn't written anywhere in the 5 Books of Moses so where did that come from? It seems to be from the Oral Torah.

Does that help at all?

Or did I not answer your question?
It's too interesting to read your answer. Yes I will get some rest shortly, thank you.

I think it was Jason who talked about the literature of Judaism. If I remember correctly, he said, the Hebrew Bible is only a small part of it and that other scriptures are as important.

My question is, if I could discuss with you the Bible or would it only be possible with the "special knowledge" (including the commentaries you mentioned earlier)?

Hm, that's serious in Deuteronomy 17:12: "not obeying the kohen who stands there to serve the Lord, your God... that man shall die". Is this true for every kohen / rabbi who has given advice since then? I guess it's hard to judge which rule is important and which one not so much (so you can ignore it or decide it by yourself).
Of course you can discuss the Hebrew bible without the "special knowledge".

As a matter of fact that is also how it is supposed to be studied, as ever evolving. Although there are certain things that seem to be quite clear, there are others that may have different meanings or relate to other things written in the Hebrew bible.

Have you ever heard about the chiasms in the Hebrew bible?

If I'm not mistaken, I think you can view a couple of videos a month for free on this website. Here are a couple related to chiasms -

https://www.alephbeta.org/playlist/under...gh-chiasms

https://www.alephbeta.org/playlist/josep...sm-meaning

And this one that shows how certain parts may relate to others.

https://www.alephbeta.org/playlist/ark-o...-noahs-ark

Remember, this isn't set in stone as an absolute, it's just an observation that makes you think.

My answer is too interesting! What does that mean?
It means, your answer is too interesting to leave it unread and go to bed. But I have to go now.
With how much love and care is the Hebrew Bible written. Just writing these long texts without a computer is hard and long work. But in addition to that, there are structures which highlight the key points.

I knew about the structure of psalm 119, that each sentence in a paragraph starts with the same hebrew letter and it goes through all the alphabet. But I never heard of chiasms, and that half of Exodus has this. I considered the cloud on the mountain to be the greater and more powerful one. After all, Mose was fed there for 40 days. But even Mose couldn't enter the tabernacle when the second cloud was in there - this is really an amazing parallel. It is also interesting, that he says that the second time the cloud appeared, was Israels victory of over the sin with the calf because God was there again. There is truely much to discover.

The video about Noahs ark and the ark of the convenant is really fun to watch. I like the humor in the explanation, the paintings and the comparisons between the two. This is also the first time I hear something like that. Unfortunately my 30 minutes are already full. Now I'm considering a membership to be able to see more.
Ye, there seems to be many "hidden" things in the Hebrew bible. Many associations, words that are spelled the same (with the exception of vowels that were added at a later date) but have different meanings and other things.

Now again, this doesn't mean everything is 100% true, but it goes to show you there could be deeper insights to what is written and seen as the "norm".

That's why we study, study and study! Because there is usually an opportunity to learn more.

I have a basic membership for $9.99 a month, not too bad on the pocket.

I know Dana on this forum is also a fan of Rabbi Fohrman and has read several of his books.
Dana recommended a book to me that I've already read halfway through. These 30 minutes of AlephBeta were very interesting and I trust Rabbi Fohrman because Dana and you like him.

Usually I avoid subscriptions whenever I can. This is an exception and I took the basis access as well.

These teachings don't have to be 100% correct. For me, it's important that the intention behind it is sincere and that he / she believes the scripture.

So thank you again for your generous help!
(05-28-2021, 12:04 PM)Blue Bird Wrote: Dana recommended a book to me that I've already read halfway through. These 30 minutes of AlephBeta were very interesting and I trust Rabbi Fohrman because Dana and you like him.

Usually I avoid subscriptions whenever I can. This is an exception and I took the basis access as well.

These teachings don't have to be 100% correct. For me, it's important that the intention behind it is sincere and that he / she believes the scripture.

So thank you again for your generous help!

Enjoy your membership Bluebird!

It's not really about being "correct" as these are recognized as thought or insight. If you look at Judaism throughout history, you'll see there have always been debates within. Not to say one is wrong or the other is right, just to stress points to think about from another prospective.

It really opens up a whole new world in my opinion.
(05-28-2021, 05:22 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote: It's not really about being "correct" as these are recognized as thought or insight. If you look at Judaism throughout history, you'll see there have always been debates within. Not to say one is wrong or the other is right, just to stress points to think about from another prospective.

I like the perspective above, too. I wanted to answer "this doesn't mean everything is 100% true" and I've used the word "correct" to summarize that.