The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Judaism: Creation of the Office of Nasi in the Beit Din
In 191 BC, the Beit Din created the office of the Nasi following a nonconfidence vote.  What was the reason for the nonconfidence vote which removed the Kohen Gadol from the Beit Din?  I cannot find any information as to the reason for the nonconfidence vote.

I would appreciate any information in this regard.
(07-20-2021, 05:49 PM)Peter Wrote: In 191 BC, the Beit Din created the office of the Nasi following a nonconfidence vote.  What was the reason for the nonconfidence vote which removed the Kohen Gadol from the Beit Din?  I cannot find any information as to the reason for the nonconfidence vote.

Onias III.
בקש שלום ורדפהו
(07-21-2021, 11:47 PM)RabbiO Wrote:
(07-20-2021, 05:49 PM)Peter Wrote: In 191 BC, the Beit Din created the office of the Nasi following a nonconfidence vote.  What was the reason for the nonconfidence vote which removed the Kohen Gadol from the Beit Din?  I cannot find any information as to the reason for the nonconfidence vote.

Onias III.

Yes, I am aware that Onias III was the kiohen gadol who was removed from the Beit Din Gadol, but do you know why he was removed?  This is what I am missing, is the reasoning as to why Onias III was removed.  His father, Shimon II was the last Kohen Gadol to preside over the Knesset haGadolah and when the Sassanid Empire took over they abolished the Knesset haGadolah and Onias as ex officio presided over the Beit Din Gadol but then the Beit Din Gadol vote him off by a nonconfidence vote.  What was the reasoning for such a vote in 191 BC?
Rabbi O do you know why Onias III was removed from the Beit Din Gadol.  Is there anything Onias III might have precipitated that gave reason for the Beit Din Gadol to reject his leadership as an ex officio?