The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice for funeral words?
Hello.

Though I am not Jewish, I'm honored to have been asked to speak at the funeral services for my late father-in-law, who was. I've searched around for guidance, but hope this is the best place.

Does anyone have a parable, prayer or the like they'd suggest? I'll be speaking for three minutes, half of which will be about my late FIL, but I hope to show respect for his culture and religion by adding something relaying directly to Judaism, maybe even speaking in Hebrew.

I don't mean that to be funny - I really think at least trying to speak in one's native/historical/cultural language IS a sign of respect.

I'll appreciate any and all suggestions.

Take care, and of each other!
Hello Tim and welcome to the forum.

Just to let you know the first 3 posts are moderated to help keep out spam and bots.

Stay tuned as forum members reply!
(08-20-2021, 01:52 PM)TimPicard Wrote: Hello.

Though I am not Jewish, I'm honored to have been asked to speak at the funeral services for my late father-in-law, who was. I've searched around for guidance, but hope this is the best place.

Does anyone have a parable, prayer or the like they'd suggest? I'll be speaking for three minutes, half of which will be about my late FIL, but I hope to show respect for his culture and religion by adding something relaying directly to Judaism, maybe even speaking in Hebrew.

I don't mean that to be funny - I really think at least trying to speak in one's native/historical/cultural language IS a sign of respect.

I'll appreciate any and all suggestions.

Take care, and of each other!

Tim,

Speak from your heart about your father in law. That is all you need to do. Be who you are. You are not a Jew. You do not have to be a Jew. Just be yourself. That is the best way to express your love, affection and respect for your father in law. To try to do what you think you want or ought to do beyond that would simply come across, in my opinion, as pretentious and would have the opposite affect of what you wished.

Shabbat is fast approaching and I really cannot say more now. When is the funeral?
בקש שלום ורדפהו