The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "" - Line: 1584 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 1584 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/functions_post.php 203 usergroup_displaygroup
/showthread.php 1118 build_postbit
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 1588 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 1588 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 1588 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "useravatar" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(938) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(938) : eval()'d code 6 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/functions_post.php 938 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "userstars" - Line: 11 - File: inc/functions_post.php(938) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(938) : eval()'d code 11 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/functions_post.php 938 eval
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'The Forward,' Storied Jewish Paper...
... Shutters Print Edition After 121 Years

Quote:It has been a long, long time since New York City's newsstands have been bereft of copies of The Forward. Founded as a Yiddish-language daily in 1897, the newspaper once known as The Jewish Daily Forward endured a host of major changes over its long life span — but through them all, the small publication reliably went to press with news that its predominantly American Jewish audience often couldn't find elsewhere.  But that will change come springtime.
Click here for full article.

I tend to read the online edition of The Forward from time to time (and have posted links on this forum to various articles from The Forward).  I figure that a lot of other people do the same.  So I can understand the decision to end the print edition and switch to an entirely digital edition.  In fact, I think that lots of other print newspapers have been dying for a long time now, and if they don't make the shift to a digital format, they won't survive at all.

People said that public libraries, too, would die out the way that print newspapers are doing.  But where I live, our public libraries have embraced the new technologies and have evolved with the times, and as a result are stronger than ever in serving the public.

Nevertheless, I sometimes can't help feeling sentimental for "the old days."

What do you think?
Heart !לחיים

(01-19-2019, 02:40 PM)Channalee Wrote:  
What do you think?

I've been reading this publication for years. I know a lot of publications that are switching to electronic message. I think in the long run it's probably best. I think if the birds in the trees that are about to be sent to a paper mill had a say, they would probably agree.

I'll give it a yes - since is lowers our carbon footprint.
I haven't read the Forward in many many years and don't miss it.
I usually read all my news online so I don't miss newspapers. As far as books or magazines go still prefer printed material.
I have no problem with resources going digital and hope that the better ones receive our financial support.
[quote='Channalee' pid='345' dateline='1547908832']
... Shutters Print Edition After 121 Years

Quote: People said that public libraries, too, would die out the way that print newspapers are doing.  But where I live, our public libraries have embraced the new technologies and have evolved with the times, and as a result are stronger than ever in serving the public.

I have to wonder if those people realize what libraries actually do. Or what people want, for that matter. My library is among one of the biggest in the country. They do a lot for the community and our 30 something branches are always busy.

As for the Forward, sure, print media is struggling. But they also alienate a lot of people.
(01-23-2019, 06:45 PM)Dena Wrote:
(01-19-2019, 02:40 PM)Channalee Wrote: ... Shutters Print Edition After 121 Years

Quote: People said that public libraries, too, would die out the way that print newspapers are doing.  But where I live, our public libraries have embraced the new technologies and have evolved with the times, and as a result are stronger than ever in serving the public.

I have to wonder if those people realize what libraries actually do. Or what people want, for that matter. My library is among one of the biggest in the country. They do a lot for the community and our 30 something branches are always busy.

As for the Forward, sure, print media is struggling. But they also alienate a lot of people.
How so?