The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anger Management
I've attached images of my source. I know that SMR has the same edition, since we were together in NYC way back when. You can see clearly what is written in 5:14 and 5:15.

Then again, I checked on Mechon Mamre and got what's in the following image, which says that it is 5:10 and gives an alternate count as 5:11.

Fascinating, if I do say so myself.
(01-22-2019, 09:01 AM)Jason Wrote:
(01-21-2019, 07:46 PM)Channalee Wrote:
(01-21-2019, 04:35 PM)Baruch Wrote:
(01-21-2019, 03:54 PM)Jason Wrote:
(4) One who is easily angered and hard to pacify is wicked.

If you see someone who is being bullied and it immediately makes you angry, and you will NOT be quiet, sit down, and be pacified, does that make you wicked?

Are you arguing with me or with Pirkei Avot? Wink

Haha!  Which is more presumptuous – to argue with Jason or to argue with the sages of old?  Big Grin

Actually, I was hoping that someone here would say that I was indeed wicked. "Wicked cool," that is. Cool

But back on topic:  Did the sages make a distinction between being angered on behalf of oneself, or on behalf of others?  A distinction that I made in my first post in this topic.
Heart !לחיים

(01-22-2019, 01:58 PM)Channalee Wrote: But back on topic:  Did the sages make a distinction between being angered on behalf of oneself, or on behalf of others?  A distinction that I made in my first post in this topic.

In other words, did the sages think "righteous indignation" was indeed "righteous"? It seems intuitive to me that they would have advocated standing up for weaker parties and for the people as a whole (look at the activity of the Maccabees, for example). I'm not sure about specific references to that effect. It's something to investigate.

(And, yes, you are wicked cool!)
(01-22-2019, 09:16 AM)Jason Wrote: I've attached images of my source. I know that SMR has the same edition, since we were together in NYC way back when. You can see clearly what is written in 5:14 and 5:15.

Then again, I checked on Mechon Mamre and got what's in the following image, which says that it is 5:10 and gives an alternate count as 5:11.

Fascinating, if I do say so myself.

Yes I do, thank you again Mr. Jason!

And yes, 5:15 in mine as well, page 132 of the Koren Pirkei Avot, The Neuwirth Edition.