The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gene Wilder
He is so good! Young Frankenstein has always been my favorite.

I thought he and Richard Pryer were good together in Stir Crazy.

I don't remember this one, but it looks really good.

The best I can tell this would be the Hebrew script. And yes, nasty bastards and despicable wicked men translate the same I think.

Gene Wilder: (Hebrew script) "Sons of the land, Sons of the land!! Sons of the land, Sons of the land!!" (Yiddish) Elohim!   Thank G-d that I found you. A menacing, terrible thing happened to me. I was on the way to San Francisco. And despicable wicked men robbed me.  Almost killed me!"

The Amish men say, "What is he saying? I don't understand a thing."  

Gene Wilder: What's the problem? You don't understand Yiddish?"  

The Amish: Is he speaking German? This is not German. Do you speak English?  

Conversation goes to English...
Thanks for the complete translation of the captions, Dana!  I guess "sons of the land" is the literal translation of the Yiddish word "landsmen"?  A landsman was a Jew living in America who was recognized as a fellow countryman, and often a person to whom the immigrant Jew could go for assistance. 

Young Frankenstein is also on my list of top three favorite Gene Wilder films!  I still crack up when I see that "Putting on the Ritz" number with Dr. Frankenstein and the Monster.

Heart !לחיים

(02-12-2019, 11:13 PM)Channalee Wrote: Thanks for the complete translation of the captions, Dana!  I guess "sons of the land" is the literal translation of the Yiddish word "landsmen"?  A landsman was a Jew living in America who was recognized as a fellow countryman, and often a person to whom the immigrant Jew could go for assistance. 

Young Frankenstein is also on my list of top three favorite Gene Wilder films!  I still crack up when I see that "Putting on the Ritz" number with Dr. Frankenstein and the Monster.

One of the funniest scenes!  I was not aware about landsmen being Jewish. It makes the encounter with the Amish even more humorous. No wonder! There were others. Madeline Kahn's performance was outstanding (as usual) as were the scenes with Marty Feldman. (Abbynormal) had become a part of my vocabulary.   Gene Wilder's wide range of expressions were always great!  Subtler scenes, such as the walking up the stairs with Cloris Leachman holding unlit candles and she tells him to stay close to the candles. Perfect.  That escaped me the first time I saw the show.
Another favorite scene: "Put... the candle... BACK!"

Heart !לחיים

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory
A bit part in Bonnie and Clyde movie