The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introduction: Old Sephardi Guy From Texas
Old Sephardi guy from Texas here. Was told of this forum by a friend, so stopped by.

I am new here. 1st post. Not sure of the minhag. So will make an introduction as a beginning.

Our family's roots in Judaism are formed by the intermarriage in America of two groups of refugees who arrived here over 200 years apart.

The first of my family to arrive here in America were Sephardim who made their way to Portugal following the edict of expulsion from Spain. And when faced with the same situation in Portugal a few short years following, made their way Northward through Europe. Settling in the region of Elsass und Lothringen along the French and German border. And when the edict of Nantes granting relative freedom of worship in France to both protestant Christian and Jew alike was revoked, making their way to refuge in the Netherlands. These family members joined the French and English religious separatists and dissidents then living in exile in the city of Leyden. And in the mid-1600s, 3 brothers of my family joined the English separatists sailing to America.

The second group to arrive consisted of 3 brothers, as well. They were Mountain Jews who had traveled Northward from Persia and had settled in the Caucasus region of Eastern Europe in the area of what is now Azerbaijan. These brothers traveled to America in the early 1900s to escape the increasing violence against Jews as Tzarist forces initiated pogroms against them in the years leading up to the Bolshevik Revolution. Mountain Jews are neither Sephardim nor Ashkenazim ethnically, so I believe my ancestors on that side are best described as Mizrahim based upon DNA testing, culture and language.

So I am all these things...... However, I identify as Sephardi because that is the culture and religious tradition that is most predominate within our extended family.

Shalom to all,

Daryavesh
Hello Daryavesh and welcome to the forum!

The first 3 posts are moderated to help keep out spam and bots. I released all of your posts so I think you are good to go now.

Thank you for your introduction, it is very interesting. Good to see you can trace your ancestors from the different regions they came from.

Thanks for joining us and thanks to your friend who recommended us!
(10-17-2021, 07:13 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote: Hello Daryavesh and welcome to the forum!

The first 3 posts are moderated to help keep out spam and bots. I released all of your posts so I think you are good to go now.

Thank you for your introduction, it is very interesting. Good to see you can trace your ancestors from the different regions they came from.

Thanks for joining us and thanks to your friend who recommended us!

Thank you so very much for your kind words and warm welcome, searchinmyroots! I look forward to reading the posts here and learning from them. I do not have a formal (college level) education, as I married and started a family at a young age when I returned Stateside from military service and had to work to support them whilst attending trade school in the evenings. However, I have always found history to be facsinating. Especially, the history of our people.

Best regards,

Daryavesh
Welcome to the forum!

Hopefully we will learn from one another, even if/when we (civilly) agree to disagree. The forum tries to encourage a healthy diversity of opinions while also discouraging a “my way or the highway” attitude.

Again, welcome.
בקש שלום ורדפהו
Thank you for the warm welcome, RabbiO. I agree. And like so many, the tension between the importance of speaking out regarding what I view as furtherance of the greater good at times pulls hard against the desire to observe lashon hara. A constant struggle within. Any words you may wish to share on this subject are most welcome on my part and will be thoughtfully considered.

Best regards,

Daryavesh
I'm in Texas, too!

It's so fascinating hearing the stories of how our ancestors came to America. My dad's family are Ashkenaz, and the stories of how they came from Russia and Czeckoslovakia are so interesting! I'm hoping I can get with my aunt later to see how far back she's traced the family and to which locations. I'd love to see the migration pattern of my family.

Looking forward to good discussions, since history is a passion of mine as well.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTpuigkYXuT1omevJGzu-X...Q&usqp=CAU]

Ich wünsche Dir Gesundheit, Zufriedenheit und reichlich Segen zu Deinem 74. Geburtstag, Daryavesh!
Danke fur die wunderbaren Geburtstagswunsche und freundlichen Gedanken, Blauer Vogel.

Es ist sowohl freudig als auch erstaunlich, so lange gelebt zu haben! Vor allem, wenn so oft mein Uberleben in Frage gestellt wurde.

G-tt hat einen Zweck fur jeden von uns. Und wenn ich meine Aufgabe hier erfullt habe, wird Er Seinen Engel des Todes senden, um mich zu sammeln.

Bis dahin werde ich fur dich hier bleiben, mein Freund.

Alles Gute fur Du,

Daryavesh
It is good to meet you, Ronin82! And welcome to the forum!

I look forward to reading your posts. What part of Texas are you from?

Best regards,

Daryavesh
(11-23-2021, 11:17 PM)Daryavesh Wrote: Danke fur die wunderbaren Geburtstagswunsche und freundlichen Gedanken, Blauer Vogel.

Es ist sowohl freudig als auch erstaunlich, so lange gelebt zu haben! Vor allem, wenn so oft mein Uberleben in Frage gestellt wurde.

G-tt hat einen Zweck fur jeden von uns. Und wenn ich meine Aufgabe hier erfullt habe, wird Er Seinen Engel des Todes senden, um mich zu sammeln.

Bis dahin werde ich fur dich hier bleiben, mein Freund.

Alles Gute fur Du,

Daryavesh

You are very welcome, Daryavesh!

The wall between here and there is thin and we are seldom aware of that. One thing that makes live so precious. I am glad that you survived it all and that we can enjoy you here. I hope that you have a long healthy life ahead of you!