The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Queen You Thought You Knew
Great, thanks. I wish you a nice weekend too.

שבת שלום
Bluebird,

Didn't forget about this, just had a pretty busy week.

So I see the video you posted is "Part 1". If I remember correctly, I think you mentioned you subscribed to Rabbi Fohrman's website, Aleph Beta?

Well if you watch parts 2, 3 and 4, you'll get the answer to his question in the book in reference to naming the holiday.

I looked in the book and watched the videos. They are pretty much one in the same as he references vows, and the Book of Numbers in the Torah.

He goes on to explain how what is written in the Book of Esther is strangely similar to what is written in the Book of Numbers. The kicker is a Hebrew word that has a double verb. Not that it's remarkable it is a double verb as that is common in the Hebrew bible.

What may be remarkable though it that this particular word with its double verb is only used in 2 places within the entire Hebrew bible.

Guess where?

Yep, once in the Book of Ester and the other in the Book of Numbers which Rabbi Fohrman is referencing for the name of the holiday.

Here is a link. I think they still allow a certain amount of view time for free each month -

https://www.alephbeta.org/playlist/what-...lled-purim

As for the 2nd question in reference to Mordecai and his royal clothes,, stay tuned........................

I have to look into that more. I glanced through the book to see if I could find a quick answer but I didn't find it yet.
It's good to be busy during these times.

Yes, that's right, I saw the entire series of Purim on Rabbi Fohrman's website. Among all the questions and answers that arose, I did not find an answer to the question that was asked before: "Why name the holiday after the very thing you don't believe in - coincidence and chance? The name of the holiday itself seems to be a bitter joke." - this is still a provocative thought for me and I can't answer it. To me it's similar to the snake in the desert, honor something you basically hate.

Thank you for researching this topic. Perhaps you heard a specific answer to the original question that I missed?
From Rabbi Fohrman's book "The Queen You Thought You Knew" -

Page 117 - We are now in a position to understand the mysterious name of the holiday. As noted earlier, the Megillah seems to be hinting that Purim is named for something Esther did, not just for something Haman did. But what does the name Purim - lots - have to do with what Esther did?

The answer is: nothing. Not at least , if you translate pur as lots. But there is another translation available for that word as well, a translation borrowed from our passage in the Book of Numbers.

Pur, the word which in Ancient Persian or Aramaic means lots, just happens, in Biblical Hebrew, to mean: "annul".

The rest of his video and book goes into that much deeper.

Of course this is all just "thought" and no one is saying it is definitely a 100% answer , but that's what is done in Judaism. Things are looked at with a wide angle lens to find familiarity with words, verses and concepts.
When I look at the Jewish tradition as it is accessible to me, I see a connection of Purim with lots. In Esther chapter 3:7 they talk about lots.

In the first month, which is the month of Nisan, in the twelfth year of King Ahasuerus, one cast the pur-that is the lot-before Haman from day to day and from month to month, to the twelfth month, which is the month of Adar.

I would assume that at least one meaning of Purim is lots. It might be worth asking and answering why.
Yes, yes, it does mean lots, no doubt about that. The holiday is named after that.

But many times in Jewish tradition, things are looked at deeper than what is on the surface.

Yom Kippur also has "lots" and there are thoughts of it's connection to Purim, sometimes called "Yom Kippurim".

Judaism looks at things as a whole, as everything being connected, not just the individual parts.

So there is no real  one answer to your question as it relates specifically to Haman's lots and why the holiday is named after that.
(04-05-2022, 03:46 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote: Yes, yes, it does mean lots, no doubt about that. The holiday is named after that.

But many times in Jewish tradition, things are looked at deeper than what is on the surface.

Yom Kippur also has "lots" and there are thoughts of it's connection to Purim, sometimes called "Yom Kippurim".

Judaism looks at things as a whole, as everything being connected, not just the individual parts.

So there is no real  one answer to your question as it relates specifically to Haman's lots and why the holiday is named after that.

Thank you for the explanation.