The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Orthodox, Conservative and Reform Judaism and the Talmud
At this point in history Jews are basically looking for reasons to believe in their religion- the conventional distinctions of orthodox, Conservative and Reform seem to have blended together, the only group with an actually distinct approach is the Karaites. The Reform Jews are supposedly out to reform Judaism, but this is not inconsistent with the myriad of additional commandments and stipulates issued by the rabbis over the years, and the radical textual relativism employed 2,500 to 1500 years ago to keep the Sadduceas and Karaites at bay were in many ways instrumental in justifying Conservative Judaism. 

Whats more many of the arguments used to disspell Christian Missionary "arguments" also apply to the supposed authority of the Talmud and Rabbis- in fact, I abandoned Christianity after a debate with a Jew, but after only another month of talking to him I realised the same arguments he used to convince me that the New Testament was a hoax which relied purely on your having been raised to interpret the world as well as the text in just the way I was enable to make any sense of it at all also applied to the Talmud. When confronted he could not provide adequate responses. 

In any case, he was Orthodox, and bemoaned the fact that Judaism is a dying religion, but did not realise that the kinds of arguments and perspectives necessary to salvage it have been historically marginalized- the gentiles have had to deal with waves of schitzophrinics from the jewish population for quite some time- Jaques Derrida clearly owed something to the Talmud. If Judaism is to survive, it must resort to the fringe movements, yet this poses a large danger of dissintegration, however I think that as time progresses all other alternatives will be gradually eliminated, eventually Judaism will be reduced to a cluster of fringe groups
Hmm, interesting point of view.

Not sure if I 100% agree with you though.

Judaism just about always did and still does have different groups, why would it be any different?

I take issue with your statement - "the supposed authority of the Talmud and Rabbis". to me it is more of guidance than authority. Yes many use it as authority but no one has the ultimate ruling on what is and what should not be.

Never heard a Rabbi say the New Testament was a "hoax".

You need to open your horizons if you are only listening to one persons point of view as it seems this one had a great influence on you.

What exactly are you looking for?