The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to reclaim Jewish heritage
My great grandfather(maternal grandfather) was a devout Jew. His manuscripts and journals reflect his fondness as well as the lineage. He grew up in Southern Poland and during WW2 he was responsible for smuggling Jews and other high profile targets out of the country. He's painted in his town's Cathedrals and has a museum in his honor. He was awarded the highest non-military honor by the Polish government.  There are may tales of him risking life and limb to help move refugees out of the country. 

Unfortunately during this time he had to hide his Jewish heritage for fear of persecution. He raised his entire family Roman Catholic/Secular and no one in the proceeding generations ever reclaimed the Jewish faith. They largely assimilated into the population and lived secular lives. 

What steps can I take to reconnect these roots?
Most people with a story like this become some sort of “Messianic Jew” and try to convince everything that they were the most Jewish of Jews and simply accept “Yeshua” as the “Jewish Messiah.” We hear it all the time.
(04-07-2022, 06:02 PM)Jason Wrote: Most people with a story like this become some sort of “Messianic Jew” and try to convince everything that they were the most Jewish of Jews and simply accept “Yeshua” as the “Jewish Messiah.” We hear it all the time.

I can assure you this is not the case.
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Do you have access to any of his manuscripts/journals?

Was your great grandmother Jewish as well?
(04-07-2022, 06:28 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote: Hello and welcome to the forum.

Yes my great grandmother was Jewish as well. Great grandfather documented the lineages on both sides. The manuscripts are currently in Poland but I will have access to them when I travel there in the summer.
(04-07-2022, 06:32 PM)oolongtea Wrote:
(04-07-2022, 06:28 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote: Hello and welcome to the forum.

Yes my great grandmother was Jewish as well. Great grandfather documented the lineages on both sides. The manuscripts are currently in Poland but I will have access to them when I travel there in the summer.

So if both your great grandparents are Jewish, then their children would be as well. If they had a daughter, then her children would be Jewish.

If you go down the line maternally, you may find you are Jewish.

So when you get a hold of the manuscripts, wouldn't that be a way to reconnect with your roots?

Can you explain further what you are looking for when you say "reconnecting to these roots"?
I guess I would like to start to immerse myself in the culture and raise my children in accord to customs and norms. Would going to the local temple be a good start?
(04-07-2022, 08:02 PM)oolongtea Wrote: I guess I would like to start to immerse myself in the culture and raise my children in accord to customs and norms. Would going to the local temple be a good start?

Absolutely!

You have to find out for yourself where you fit in with Judaism.

Passover is just around the corner, so now would be a great time to immerse yourself in the culture.

I'm sure the temple you choose would be willing to help you along your way and might even have some programs just for that.

Wishing you well on your journey!
As SMR stated, you may already be Jewish if there is an unbroken maternal line. I would start with determining that, and if you have proof I would approach a rabbi of your choice. Chabad is very good at working with people with histories such as yours. If you do not have an unbroken maternal line, you would have to convert if you want to officially become Jewish. Either way, I would investigate your local Jewish congregations and rabbis and find one that seems to be a good fit. Make an appointment with the rabbi. Good luck!