Assignment for Tuesday, September 7

Be updated on current assignments
Jason

Assignment for Tuesday, September 7

Post by Jason »

This week, Jonathan said that we are to do as much of the first composition as we feel comfortable with.

There is no reading assignment from Arnold & Choi.
Jason Hare
The Hebrew Café | Tel Aviv, Israel | thehebrewcafe.com
mplioplis

Re: Assignment for Tuesday, September 7

Post by mplioplis »

Thanks. We had a good class basically pointing the consonants. I have figured out all the basic vowels. The dagesh inside the ב doesn't work, it's supposed to be the option key that adds a dagesh to letters but it doesn't work on the ב. Thoughts?
Jason

Post by Jason »

mplioplis wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:45 am Thanks. We had a good class basically pointing the consonants. I have figured out all the basic vowels. The dagesh inside the ב doesn't work, it's supposed to be the option key that adds a dagesh to letters but it doesn't work on the ב. Thoughts?
I've never used a Mac. I don't have an option key. Not sure what to do with that kind of computer.
Jason Hare
mplioplis

Post by mplioplis »

It's the same as the alt key. The alt key will add a dagesh to every character that takes it, but it doesn't work on the ב. Even the sample keyboard layout doesn't show it as an option. I'm using the HebrewTH and when I hold option/alt I can do this:

קּשּרּתּעּפּלּכּיּהּגּטּדּסּמּנּוּצאּ but not ב.
Jason

Post by Jason »

mplioplis wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:37 pm It's the same as the alt key. The alt key will add a dagesh to every character that takes it, but it doesn't work on the ב. Even the sample keyboard layout doesn't show it as an option. I'm using the HebrewTH and when I hold option/alt I can do this:

קּשּרּתּעּפּלּכּיּהּגּטּדּסּמּנּוּצאּ but not ב.
I assume that it's allowing you to type the letters with dagesh precombined (like בּ, which is one specific Unicode character). Do you know how to type the dagesh without the letter (like ּ ​ ), which might just let you insert it independently?
Jason Hare
mplioplis

Post by mplioplis »

Let's see:

ּב

Aha... got it, it is the + sign. Then I type the ב after it to get this ּב.
Jason

Post by Jason »

mplioplis wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:56 am Let's see:

ּב

Aha... got it, it is the + sign. Then I type the ב after it to get this ּב.
Try putting bet BEFORE you type dagesh. It should be inside the letter. The letter always comes before any diacritical mark.

See the difference between בּ (what you should type) and ּב (what you actually typed)?

I type letter, dagesh, vowel, accent - in that order.
Jason Hare
mplioplis

Post by mplioplis »

Any order I type the letter and dagesh, this is what happens, looks right to me in the composer screen. I hadn't even noticed it was different than normal, but I can see it now.

בּ ---- letter / + sign
ּב ---- + sign / letter
Jason

Post by Jason »

mplioplis wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:46 am Any order I type the letter and dagesh, this is what happens, looks right to me in the composer screen. I hadn't even noticed it was different than normal, but I can see it now.

בּ ---- letter / + sign
ּב ---- + sign / letter
Both of those instances look fine. You should always place the diacritical after the letter, though. It's a principle. First, the letter (and shin/sin dot), then the dagesh, then the vowel, then the táʿam (accent).

ב ּ ַב ּ ַ ֫י ִת > בַּבַּ֫יִת
Jason Hare