Jewish Forums
Judaism Is HASHEM asleep?? - Printable Version

+- Jewish Forums (https://www.thehebrewcafe.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Main Forums (https://www.thehebrewcafe.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Judaism General (https://www.thehebrewcafe.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Judaism Is HASHEM asleep?? (/showthread.php?tid=275)

Is HASHEM asleep?? - James the Servant - 06-28-2019

Please--fellow servants of HASHEM--help me understand these verses.

"Awake, why sleepest thou, O Lord? arise, cast us not off for ever."
Psalm 44:23

"They run and prepare themselves without my fault: awake to help me, and behold. Thou therefore, O LORD God of hosts, the God of Israel, awake to visit all the heathen: be not merciful to any wicked transgressors. Selah."
Psalm 59:4-5

"As a dream when one awaketh; so, O Lord, when thou awakest, thou shalt despise their image."
Psalm 73:20

"Then the Lord awaked as one out of sleep, and like a mighty man that shouteth by reason of wine."
Psalm 78:65

"If thou wouldest seek unto God betimes, and make thy supplication to the Almighty; If thou wert pure and upright; surely now he would awake for thee, and make the habitation of thy righteousness prosperous."
Job 8:5-6

"Awake, awake, put on strength, O arm of the LORD; awake, as in the ancient days, in the generations of old. Art thou not it that hath cut Rahab, and wounded the dragon?"
Isaiah 51:9

"Upon this I awaked, and beheld; and my sleep was sweet unto me."
Jeremiah 31:26

"Be silent, O all flesh, before the LORD: for he is awakened (nê·‘ō·wr ) out of his holy habitation."
Zechariah 2:13

Does this mean that HASHEM is asleep or at least capable of sleep?

Thank you, O servants of HASHEM.

RE: Is HASHEM asleep?? - searchinmyroots - 06-28-2019

I'd like to know what the Hebrew words used in those verses are as their meanings may be different than the English translations.

Also, some of it is poetic, not literal.

I think it is just saying that the writer thinks G-d isn't paying attention and is asking for His help.

RE: Is HASHEM asleep?? - James the Servant - 06-28-2019

(06-28-2019, 02:10 AM)searchinmyroots Wrote: I'd like to know what the Hebrew words used in those verses are as their meanings may be different than the English translations.

Also, some of it is poetic, not literal.

I think it is just saying that the writer thinks G-d isn't paying attention and is asking for His help.

As you wish. I shall break down the English translations for you in this format: (transliteration [transliteration root-]). This information is from: https://biblehub.com/interlinear/

"Awake (hā·‘î·rāh [ur-]), and rise (wə·hā·qî·ṣāh [quts]) to my defense! Contend for me, my God and Lord."
Psalm 35:23

"Awake (‘ū·rāh [ur-]), why sleepest (ṯî·šan [yashen-]) thou, O Lord? arise (hā·qî·ṣāh [quts-]), cast us not off for ever."
Psalm 44:23**

"They run and prepare themselves without my fault: awake (‘ū·rāh [ur-]) to help me, and behold. Thou therefore, O LORD God of hosts, the God of Israel, awake (hā·qî·ṣāh [quts-]) to visit all the heathen: be not merciful to any wicked transgressors. Selah."
Psalm 59:4-5

"As a dream (ka·ḥă·lō·wm [chalom-]) when one awaketh (mê·hā·qîṣ; [quts-]); so, O Lord, when thou awakest (bā·‘îr [ur-]), thou shalt despise their image."
Psalm 73:20

"Then the Lord awaked (way·yi·qaṣ [yaqats-]) as one out of sleep (kə·yā·šên [yashen-]), and like a mighty man that shouteth by reason of wine."
Psalm 78:65

"If thou wouldest seek unto God betimes, and make thy supplication to the Almighty; If thou wert pure and upright; surely now he would awake (yā·‘îr [ur-]) for thee, and make the habitation of thy righteousness prosperous."
Job 8:5-6

"Awake (‘ū·rî [ur-]), awake (‘ū·rî [ur-]), put on strength, O arm of the LORD; awake (‘ū·rî [ur-]), as in the ancient days, in the generations of old. Art thou not it that hath cut Rahab, and wounded the dragon?"
Isaiah 51:9

"Upon this I awaked (hĕ·qî·ṣō·ṯî [quts-]), and beheld; and my sleep (ū·šə·nā·ṯî [shenah-]) was sweet unto me."
Jeremiah 31:26

"Be silent, O all flesh, before the LORD: for he is awakened (nê·‘ō·wr [ur-]) out of his holy habitation."
Zechariah 2:13