The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Judaism: Is HASHEM asleep??
Lightbulb 
Please--fellow servants of HASHEM--help me understand these verses.

"Awake, why sleepest thou, O Lord? arise, cast us not off for ever."
Psalm 44:23

"They run and prepare themselves without my fault: awake to help me, and behold. Thou therefore, O LORD God of hosts, the God of Israel, awake to visit all the heathen: be not merciful to any wicked transgressors. Selah."
Psalm 59:4-5

"As a dream when one awaketh; so, O Lord, when thou awakest, thou shalt despise their image."
Psalm 73:20

"Then the Lord awaked as one out of sleep, and like a mighty man that shouteth by reason of wine."
Psalm 78:65

"If thou wouldest seek unto God betimes, and make thy supplication to the Almighty; If thou wert pure and upright; surely now he would awake for thee, and make the habitation of thy righteousness prosperous."
Job 8:5-6

"Awake, awake, put on strength, O arm of the LORD; awake, as in the ancient days, in the generations of old. Art thou not it that hath cut Rahab, and wounded the dragon?"
Isaiah 51:9

"Upon this I awaked, and beheld; and my sleep was sweet unto me."
Jeremiah 31:26

"Be silent, O all flesh, before the LORD: for he is awakened (nê·‘ō·wr ) out of his holy habitation."
Zechariah 2:13

Does this mean that HASHEM is asleep or at least capable of sleep?

Thank you, O servants of HASHEM.
"Learn to do good; seek justice, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow."
Isaiah 1:17
I'd like to know what the Hebrew words used in those verses are as their meanings may be different than the English translations.

Also, some of it is poetic, not literal.

I think it is just saying that the writer thinks G-d isn't paying attention and is asking for His help.
(06-28-2019, 02:10 AM)searchinmyroots Wrote: I'd like to know what the Hebrew words used in those verses are as their meanings may be different than the English translations.

Also, some of it is poetic, not literal.

I think it is just saying that the writer thinks G-d isn't paying attention and is asking for His help.

As you wish. I shall break down the English translations for you in this format: (transliteration [transliteration root-]). This information is from: https://biblehub.com/interlinear/

"Awake (hā·‘î·rāh [ur-]), and rise (wə·hā·qî·ṣāh [quts]) to my defense! Contend for me, my God and Lord."
Psalm 35:23

"Awake (‘ū·rāh [ur-]), why sleepest (ṯî·šan [yashen-]) thou, O Lord? arise (hā·qî·ṣāh [quts-]), cast us not off for ever."
Psalm 44:23**

"They run and prepare themselves without my fault: awake (‘ū·rāh [ur-]) to help me, and behold. Thou therefore, O LORD God of hosts, the God of Israel, awake (hā·qî·ṣāh [quts-]) to visit all the heathen: be not merciful to any wicked transgressors. Selah."
Psalm 59:4-5

"As a dream (ka·ḥă·lō·wm [chalom-]) when one awaketh (mê·hā·qîṣ; [quts-]); so, O Lord, when thou awakest (bā·‘îr [ur-]), thou shalt despise their image."
Psalm 73:20

"Then the Lord awaked (way·yi·qaṣ [yaqats-]) as one out of sleep (kə·yā·šên [yashen-]), and like a mighty man that shouteth by reason of wine."
Psalm 78:65

"If thou wouldest seek unto God betimes, and make thy supplication to the Almighty; If thou wert pure and upright; surely now he would awake (yā·‘îr [ur-]) for thee, and make the habitation of thy righteousness prosperous."
Job 8:5-6

"Awake (‘ū·rî [ur-]), awake (‘ū·rî [ur-]), put on strength, O arm of the LORD; awake (‘ū·rî [ur-]), as in the ancient days, in the generations of old. Art thou not it that hath cut Rahab, and wounded the dragon?"
Isaiah 51:9

"Upon this I awaked (hĕ·qî·ṣō·ṯî [quts-]), and beheld; and my sleep (ū·šə·nā·ṯî [shenah-]) was sweet unto me."
Jeremiah 31:26

"Be silent, O all flesh, before the LORD: for he is awakened (nê·‘ō·wr [ur-]) out of his holy habitation."
Zechariah 2:13
"Learn to do good; seek justice, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow."
Isaiah 1:17