The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hebrew: MS Word Equation Hebrew/Number Swapping
Exclamation 
Hello,

I am hoping someone on the forum can help me with a Hebrew word processing issue, or at least explain why it occurs. I am in the process of transcribing a text in which the author wrote an equation of ש equals 300. In the original he used the = symbol. Whenever I enter this into MS Word, it immediately swaps the number and letter position, 300 = ש. I have not entered the = symbol or number using right to left encoding. Yet it also encodes the = symbol and number using right to left when it does the swap. I need the text to represent exactly what the author wrote. Could someone please explain to me why this swap is occurring, and/or if there is a way to disable it? I am on a Windows 10 system, using MS Word 365 desktop. Thank you for any assistance you can offer.

Best wishes,
John
(09-11-2023, 10:09 PM)jlcrow Wrote: Hello,

I am hoping someone on the forum can help me with a Hebrew word processing issue, or at least explain why it occurs. I am in the process of transcribing a text in which the author wrote an equation of ש equals 300. In the original he used the = symbol. Whenever I enter this into MS Word, it immediately swaps the number and letter position, 300 = ש. I have not entered the = symbol or number using right to left encoding. Yet it also encodes the = symbol and number using right to left when it does the swap. I need the text to represent exactly what the author wrote. Could someone please explain to me why this swap is occurring, and/or if there is a way to disable it? I am on a Windows 10 system, using MS Word 365 desktop. Thank you for any assistance you can offer.

Best wishes,
John

Insert a Left-to right mark just before  the = 300 . In Word you can type those as 200E alt X

The = has no direction on its own, it takes the direction from the context.

UNICODE BIDIRECTIONAL ALGORITHM
(09-12-2023, 11:44 AM)ctjacobs Wrote:
(09-11-2023, 10:09 PM)jlcrow Wrote: Hello,

Best wishes,
John

Insert a Left-to right mark just before  the = 300 . In Word you can type those as 200E alt X

The = has no direction on its own, it takes the direction from the context.

UNICODE BIDIRECTIONAL ALGORITHM

Finally had a chance to test what you recommended and it worked great. ctjacobs, thank you for your assistance!
Just for reference for anyone on Windows, hold alt and enter 8206 on num pad to enter the left-to-right mark.