The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hebrew: Phrase from Samuel
Lightbulb 
Hello Folks!

I hope someone with Hebrew language skills can help me out.

I am trying to do a little sign that will have written on it in 4 languages the "famous" quote from Samuel in 1. Samuel 7,12 
where he erected a stone that said: “Till now the Lord has helped us.”

So my problem is I speak no Hebrew at all but I want to put this phrase on the sign correctly as it is in the Tanakh.

So I found one text in Hebrew that is written like this: וַיֹּאמַר, עַד-הֵנָּה עֲזָרָנוּ יְהוָה.
And when I put it from English into google it showed an easier(?) version: עד עכשיו ה' עזר לנו.

So now my question, what is the "original" that is in the Tanakh and is there an easier modern form of hebrew to write this?
Because in the translation from google there are almost no little signs below or above the letters.

Sorry I have really no idea unfortunately but I would like to write this correct as it is in a modern hebrew tanakh.
Thanks for helping me out!

God bless!
(02-17-2024, 01:29 PM)Praise El Shaddai Wrote: Hello Folks!

I hope someone with Hebrew language skills can help me out.

I am trying to do a little sign that will have written on it in 4 languages the "famous" quote from Samuel in 1. Samuel 7,12 
where he erected a stone that said: “Till now the Lord has helped us.”

So my problem is I speak no Hebrew at all but I want to put this phrase on the sign correctly as it is in the Tanakh.

So I found one text in Hebrew that is written like this: וַיֹּאמַר, עַד-הֵנָּה עֲזָרָנוּ יְהוָה.
And when I put it from English into google it showed an easier(?) version: עד עכשיו ה' עזר לנו.

So now my question, what is the "original" that is in the Tanakh and is there an easier modern form of hebrew to write this?
Because in the translation from google there are almost no little signs below or above the letters.

Sorry I have really no idea unfortunately but I would like to write this correct as it is in a modern hebrew tanakh.
Thanks for helping me out!

God bless!
The tanach is online here. Your first version is correct except you quote a word too much which says we jomar, and he said.

עַד־הֵ֖נָּהעֲזָרָ֥נוּ יְהֹוָֽה

If you don't like the little signs here is the same text with the little signs deleted:

עד־הנהעזרנו יהוה
Thumbs Up 
(02-18-2024, 03:12 PM)ctjacobs Wrote: The tanach is online here. Your first version is correct except you quote a word too much which says we jomar, and he said.

If you don't like the little signs here is the same text with the little signs deleted:

עד־הנהעזרנו יהוה

Thank you very much ctjacobs for this very clear answer (and the hint with the one word too much)
So just for my understanding, if I leave the little signs out it is still readable corretly?
It would be easier to make the sign and in my eyes it looks a little nicer Smile
(02-23-2024, 03:50 PM)Praise El Shaddai Wrote:
(02-18-2024, 03:12 PM)ctjacobs Wrote: The tanach is online here. Your first version is correct except you quote a word too much which says we jomar, and he said.

עד־הנהעזרנו יהוה

Thank you very much ctjacobs for this very clear answer (and the hint with the one word too much)
So just for my understanding, if I leave the little signs out it is still readable corretly?
It would be easier to make the sign and in my eyes it looks a little nicer Smile

Samuel lived ca 1070-1012 before zero. The Masoretes wrote the little signs centuries after zero. So evidently the text was during ages legible without the little signs.

By the way, I missed a space.

עד־הנה עזרנו יהוה
Quote:Samuel lived ca 1070-1012 before zero. The Masoretes wrote the little signs centuries after zero. So evidently the text was during ages legible without the little signs.
Great, so Samuel probably wrote it in the version with no signs!
Where can I rate you 5 Stars for the helpful and quick answers? Shy

I will post a foto of the final result in a few days I hope!
~~~~~~~~~~~
עד־הנה עזרנו יהוה

The “little signs” are the vowel marking system, niqqud, for Hebrew. Guess what, pick up a copy of an Israeli newspaper and you won’t find use of niqqud.

Of course, Samuel wouldn’t have written either version because the form of the Hebrew letters was different than the form of the letters used now.
בקש שלום ורדפהו
Oops! I replied to myself.
בקש שלום ורדפהו
(02-25-2024, 01:37 AM)RabbiO Wrote: The “little signs” are the vowel marking system, niqqud, for Hebrew. Guess what, pick up a copy of an Israeli newspaper and you won’t find use of niqqud.

Of course, Samuel wouldn’t have written either version because the form of the Hebrew letters was different than the form of the letters used now.

While classical hebrew is readable without niqqud for modern hebrew without niqqud it is advisable to throw some extra consonants in. ktiv male
I am sorry, it took me quite some time and then I delayed also to upload it here Confused  but here
is the result:

I think it turned out quite well and I really hope it is all written correctly in Hebrew.

And for completion also the other side in German and Portuguese:

Thank you for the help!
Be blessed!
~~~~~~~~~~~
עד־הנה עזרנו יהוה

Gute Idee mit den Stiften, sieht schön aus!