The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sentence Rhythm
oh, interesting, yes on his text  אַֽהֲבָ֔ה  there is the vertical line on the Aleph (is that the metheg).  I didn't notice it because I was looking at another source for 8.6 (tanach.us).

I just looked at 8.6 in BHS and it doesn't list a textual variant for that word
Dana, yes that is what I was looking for. Thank you very much!

I  found a bookstore that will import the book without charging me for shipping. Sometimes I forget that the USA is so far away, but now I remember: it will take at least 4 weeks for the book to get here.

There seems to be no similar book here that teaches all these signs, so I'm looking forward to this one!
(03-22-2024, 03:25 PM)Dana Wrote: It all depends on what you are looking for.  Growing in the language without becoming exasperated from too much information was my approach.

However you did it, you really learned a lot and achieved a very good understanding!
Is there a reason why a word cannot have two stresses?
How about A-ha-Vah not in two different contexts but in one context?

And can anyone tell at which time te text appears in this video?
I believe I recognize the text KI-aZAH chaMAvet A-ha-Vah (thanks Rosends and Glenn2020) on 16:08, can anyone confirm this?
There is a meteg under the aleph next to the vowel on the word for love.  Taken from C.L. Seow's grammar book the definition given is that it serves primarily to indicate a secondary stress in a word, while also calling attention to the precise pronunciation of the vowel.

As close as I am able to follow, the time of 16:08 is correct.  However, I do not see a meteg under the aleph in the siddur.
As I hear it, it certainly sounds like no stress on the aleph (in fact the singer almost blends the previous syllable with the aleph, one should note the previous syllable has no stress).  And then the "vah" is "hit hard" with a stress.  So I do hear on the last 2 words "chaMAvet a-haVah"
(03-23-2024, 10:37 PM)ctjacobs Wrote: Is there a reason why a word cannot have two stresses?

just a quick comment on the previous word, namely 

כַמָּ֨וֶת֙

Notice that there appear to be 2 stress marks, two "geresh".  The geresh always appears on the last syllable - BUT - when they don't want the last syllable to be stressed, they keep the geresh on the last syllable and put a secondary geresh on the actual syllable that gets the stress.  So this word actually only has 1 stress 
that's either a pashta or a kadma, but not a geresh.
It is both a pashta and kadma which are identical in appearance.  The pashta appears above the final letter of a word while the kadma is notated above the first letter of a word's accented syllable.

An example can be found in Genesis 2:14 - And the name of the third river... Shem for name has a kadma.  Hashlishi for the third has a pashta.

Artscroll Stone Edition Tanach
My apologies on my above post. According to the Torah Cantillation it is a pashta symbol used twice.