The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Here
Been interested in Judaism for a long time, planning to convert eventually. I've been keeping Kosher since 2018 but didn't really do it seriously until 2020.

In 2004 or so my father who was a Christian minister in the United Methodist Church started doing a seder. He had previously travelled to Israel and had been constantly incorporating more and more Jewish teachings in his ministry some of which was met with resistance from his congregation.... He used a prayer shaw, was in JfJ, had friends with Messianics but they were a bit dodgy in my opinion.

Back to me having such a lengthy experience in religion and after doing a lot of studying of religious texts I came to the conclusion that Judaism was for me. Wanting to be a Jew by choice I started following the laws. I keep Kosher, take the sabbath off and holy days when I remember to check. I was told by my friends to not get the wrong conversion however I wonder if it matters if I'm not planning on moving to Israel?

Right now I'm gearing up for Pesach but no Seder tray this year from the looks of it. I know some Soviet Jews had it bad doing passover and I have it relatively easy but some things just don't seem to be for sale in West Virginia and I have to shop over in Marietta or Amazon to get a bulk of my supplies outside of fresh water, eggs, vegetables, fruit, salt, etc.
Welcome to the forum Amercani and thank you for your introduction.

Let us know if we can help in any way or answer any questions you may have.

I'm not sure what a "wrong" conversion is. If you convert to where you want to be, then that is what is right for you.

Just make sure you dive deep and understand the differences.
I understand that Orthodox is the best but unlikely to be accepted. Conservative was recommended by my friend B.W., Ashkenaz (I'll keep his name private since he is internet searchable) and anything less such as reformed was comparable to Christianity. This was told to me by two others.

In my area we had a reformed synagogue and I had been there once however it was closed the last time I checked which was in Feb 2023.

So far some differences I've noticed are in keeping Kosher. Some want Glatt others don't accept certain hechshers.
Americani,

I'm not sure you are looking at or hearing things correctly.

There are different denominations, none being "better" than the other.

Do you mean you would be unlikely to be accepted by the Orthodox? You might not be accepted right away, you might have to study hard with your full heart and show full commitment to joining the Jewish people.

I'm not sure where you are getting your information from, but Reform Judaism is nothing like Christianity, 2 completely different religions.

You're best bet may not be to listen to what others tell you, but to go and experience it all for your self.

It will take some time, a lot of time, and may not be so easy.

But making a commitment to being Jewish is life changing and something you should do with all of your heart when making a decision.
“Dive deep and understand the differences” is such good advice. I would only add to give yourself much time for self reflection and to read.   

Americani, my background is Christian and it was through the Orthodox material with the Hebrew language that gave me the door to question my own faith. 

But, if I were ever to convert today it would be with the Reform movement. 

Lot’s of time and reading have given me room to grow and change perspectives.   

Reform is not like Christianity.  Christianity is more belief based.
americani,

Your post is so filled with erroneous “information” it is apparent that despite your reading of religious texts, not yet designated, your actual knowledge of Judaism is extremely limited. To what texts are you referring?
בקש שלום ורדפהו
Well if you can imagine nearly all my learning outside of texts comes from secular Jews, one was online very long ago and the rest some place I was staying a few years ago.

R. studied to be a rabbi but got into some other line of work. Was an online friend well over ten years ago.
T.R. has nearly the same U.M.C. background as me but had a Jewish mother. Does Chayneu studies and learns spoken and written Hebrew from self-study programmes but is told he is off on pronouncaitions.
B.W. went to Yeshiva but secular now.
G.B. grew up near Brooklyn and knew a lot of cultural things also very secular.

I've read through the whole Authorised Version front to back. Read an English language Quran from Penguin but I was told that version is trash-exact words. Read the Torah again, Aleph version, was reading Artscroll Tanakh, now have JPS version. Have some other assorted prayer books.

Of course I have learned that a lot more texts exist such as commentary that I don't have access to or if I did wasn't in English. I have internet now but really don't know where to start so I searched and found here. I'm aware I have a lot of studying ahead of me but really need pointed in the right direction.

Now I am on my own.