The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Probverbs 23-strike a child with a rod?
13Do not withhold discipline from a child; when you strike him with a rod, he will not die.
14You shall strike him with a rod, and you will save his soul from the grave.

Does this verse mean that we should hit a child with a rod (stick) as a means of discipline?

Thanks.
I would not think of it as a commandment. We don't get the commandments from the book of Proverbs. It is, rather, a piece of wisdom – that if you want to save your child's life, you will provide them with a framework of discipline. Those who grow up without discipline (in whatever form it takes) will have no limits to their misbehavior.

You shouldn't treat it literally. It is not a call to hit children.
(01-16-2020, 10:08 AM)Jason Wrote: I would not think of it as a commandment. We don't get the commandments from the book of Proverbs. It is, rather, a piece of wisdom – that if you want to save your child's life, you will provide them with a framework of discipline. Those who grow up without discipline (in whatever form it takes) will have no limits to their misbehavior.

You shouldn't treat it literally. It is not a call to hit children.

I don't think hitting children works.  What does work is withdrawing privileges.
I agree with Jason....it is advice to not with hold discipline. It doesn't mean physically to beat a child. Discipline is not only to correct bad behavior, but also protects a child from dangerous situations.
King Shlomo (Solomon) wrote this to share his legendary wisdom. Context and nuance are very important. Today's context is much different from his times or even the times of 50 years ago. From the Talmud, it becomes apparent that he is referring only to a young child who would not rebel and strike back. Social reaction might also be considered a "strike back" and today that would probably be the consideration. That is how the "withholding privileges" became an option. I don't think it is a better option because with younger children it takes much longer to impart the message. It often requires extreme emotional distress which is much worse than the quick sting of a slap (a "putch" we used to call it). Physical "warfare" is much easier to administer in a controlled fashion than psychological "warfare" and requires less imagination and effort on the part of the parent, whose resources (or lack thereof) should also be considered.