The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I just want to express my appreciation for allowing me to join this forum.  To be transparent, I am a strict-monotheistic Christian (we do not believe in the Trinity doctrine), but I am *NOT* here to attempt to convert anyone.  I am here because I recently wrapped up Hebrew 1 and I have a lot of questions about the grammar of the Hebrew text—and I have an absolute ton of respect for the Jewish people.

Also, I lurked on here prior to deciding to join this forum and I like the seemingly congenial demeanor that I have witnessed on here so far.  I was on another Judaic forum for a while, but, man, virtually ANY (genuine) question I asked was met with exceedingly terse responses—if they were even allowed to be posted (they moderate every single post).  Just farrrrr too difficult to try and sincerely learn anything, which is a shame because I truly want to learn more about Hebrew exegesis.  This forum is a refreshing change in that vein.

Finally, I realize I am a guest here and will always respect Hebraic beliefs.  If I ever make an error please let me know and I will correct it immediately (I ran a V-Bulletin forum myself for a couple of years, so I know how challenging it can be Confused .  Again, I am sincerely here to learn.  Thank you again!

Hello John and welcome to the forum.

Just to let you know, the first 3 posts are moderated to help keep out spam and bots.

If you have any questions about the Hebrew language, we have a resident expert who should be glad to help you.

Thank you for being respectful!
Hi John and baruch haba! Welcome! Smile
If you don't mind me asking, what "branch" of Christianity does reject the Trinity doctrine, is this a specific denomination? I have never heard about this and always thought the Trinity was one of the defining aspects or at least core principles of Christianity. Interesting!

I hope you may find here what you are looking for!
(10-18-2019, 05:59 PM)a_Sarah Wrote: Hi John and baruch haba! Welcome! Smile
If you don't mind me asking, what "branch" of Christianity does reject the Trinity doctrine, is this a specific denomination? I have never heard about this and always thought the Trinity was one of the defining aspects or at least core principles of Christianity. Interesting!

I hope you may find here what you are looking for!

We are what some would call Oneness Pentecostals.  In fact (and this will be strong), we do not classify people who believe in the Trinity doctrine as biblical Christians, and certainly not “monotheists.”  I hope I am not pushing my luck here, but, we do believe Jesus is G-d (I understand y’all would deny this)—but He is not now, nor will He ever be, a “2nd of 3 divine persons in the Godhead.”  Soooo much more I could say about that, but I will let it rest  Wink.

(10-18-2019, 04:12 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote: Hello John and welcome to the forum.

Just to let you know, the first 3 posts are moderated to help keep out spam and bots.

If you have any questions about the Hebrew language, we have a resident expert who should be glad to help you.

Thank you for being respectful!

Thank you. I have already enjoyed reading many of your posts.

Sincerely looking forward to learning more about Hebrew.

Shalom!

Being strict monotheistic Christian could mean a couple of things. It could mean that you believe that God is Jesus and Jesus is God (that is, you a modalist, believing that both "Father" and "Son" are just modes that Jesus adopts). Or, you could believe that Jesus was the Messiah but a complete human being that only bore God's image and was empowered by God.

Would you clarify?

Welcome to the forum.
(10-19-2019, 06:38 AM)John Doe Wrote: Sincerely looking forward to learning more about Hebrew.

I'm starting a new course using Learning Biblical Hebrew: Reading for Comprehension: An Introductory Grammar by Kutz and Josberger (link) and its accompanying workbook and graded reader.

You can view the course as it stands at this point here.

Let me know if you're interested. We can talk about it.
(10-20-2019, 04:59 AM)Jason Wrote: Being strict monotheistic Christian could mean a couple of things. It could mean that you believe that God is Jesus and Jesus is God (that is, you a modalist, believing that both "Father" and "Son" are just modes that Jesus adopts). Or, you could believe that Jesus was the Messiah but a complete human being that only bore God's image and was empowered by God.

Would you clarify?

Welcome to the forum.

First, we do not use the term “modalist” to describe what we believe.  Indeed, I had never even heard that term before I heard it from doctrinal detractors as a term of derision.  Second, neither do we say that the terms Father and Son are “just modes that Jesus adopts.”  

While I cannot post a link to my academic blog on this issue, I will just say at this point that yes, I wholeheartedly believe that Jesus is the totality of God enfleshed.  But, again, I am not here to defend my position, nor try to convince anyone.  I have been intently studying Trinitarianism w. an open heart for many years now—and I have absolutely zero doubt in either my heart or mind that it’s false doctrine—and I have defended that point both internationally and publicly.  

To summarize, I think it’s laughable and patently absurd to suggest that Abraham, Issac, Jacob, Moses, David, Isaiah...and every other biblical writer of the TaNaKh was “mistaken” about God’s “true” identity as a sole divine person (who uses no less than 9,000 *single-person-pronouns* to identify Himself)—when He was really “3 divine, coequal, coeternal, consubstantial persons” that no one knew existed (??)...but enough of that?.  And, yes I know about Alan Segal’s “Two Powers” work concerning 2nd Temple Judaism.

Again, I am here to learn more about Hebrew.  I have already had a year of Hebrew, but, honestly, I feel like I need to take it again.  The vowels *REALLY* made things difficult for me.  Hebrew was farrr harder for me than Greek was.  However, I did learn a TON about your language and it made me appreciate the Jewish people even more. 

Thank y’all again for allowing me on this forum.  Shalom!

Jason, I am having trouble w. learning how to quote on this forum and post immediately below the quote, so I am responding to your offer regarding taking Hebrew from you here.

I have seen the grammar by Kutz and Josberger on Logos (I have Logos and Olive Tree as my software) and it has indeed piqued my interests. Let me look into my budget and schedule to see if I can swing the classes soon—but I just recently spent a ton on software products (I have approx. 2,500 resources—mostly exegetical—combining the 2 softwares), so not sure if I can currently swing it or not.

Will take a look though. Thank you much.

Thank you for your explanations! I really was just curious, not challenging anything, if that came across differently (not a native speaker). Smile You gave me some pointers what to look into, I'm always interested to learn more. Thanks!