The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do they think Jesus is G-d?
Why do Christians think Jesus is G-d? How would something like that even be possible? Jesus prayed to G-d, so how could he himself be G-d?
There are some Christians on this forum (some former, some who still practice) who can better answer your question, but my thoughts are as follows -

If I'm not mistaken, in some denominations of Christianity, Jesus is believed to be part of the Godhead which is the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, all of which are God.

But when Jesus was here on Earth, they believe he was part human so he could interact and feel the pains of the people.

So when you read Jesus as being like a human, that was part of his purpose and other times when he is as God, that was another part.

Again, that's just my observations and I'm sure some of the Christians on the forum can better elaborate or may even correct or dispute what I've suggested.

What is comes down to though, is what is written in the Christian bible (which I'm sure will be quoted here) and how it is interpreted.
The new testament clearly says that jesus is God.
1 jhon 5:7: For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
S.jhon 17:5: And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.
You can make a big bible study out of this.

Just one point. One criteria a God has to meet is that He exists eternally.

That's what it says in in John 8:58:

Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

So, this is going back into the past, and here is one that goes into the future, Matthew 28:20

Lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world.
Thank you then.
Perhaps the best treatment of this question for general readers but by a very well established New Testament scholar (former evangelical now agnostic/atheist) is How Jesus Became God: The Exaltation of a Jewish Preacher from Galilee by Bart D. Ehrman.
They believe it because it is how they interpret the texts in their New Testament. Obviously. They don't feel they have a choice to believe otherwise.
(09-25-2021, 03:28 PM)Jason Wrote: They believe it because it is how they interpret the texts in their New Testament. Obviously. They don't feel they have a choice to believe otherwise.

Sure. I'm blond. I'm a Christian. I've the wrong genes to understand the Bible properly.
(09-25-2021, 03:28 PM)Jason Wrote: They believe it because it is how they interpret the texts in their New Testament. Obviously. They don't feel they have a choice to believe otherwise.

Which texts?
At the time Christianity was developing as a religion it was normal for the Romans to deify (worship as gods) their emperors once the emperor had died: 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:D...n_emperors

Therefore it is not beyond the realms of possibility that this concept may have been copied by the Christians; or perhaps its adoption by them was -  just a coincidence ...! Yet for certain, the concept must have become somewhat convenient for both Christianity and the Romans, once Christianity was nationalized by the Romans!: 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constantin...ristianity