The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jesus and the Talmud
I recently read a post about Jesus in the Talmud on a German Christian forum. I've heard something like this before and it confuses me. Here is the post in English (my translation, I hope it's correct):

I recently read the book "Jesus in the Talmud" by a Jewish religious scholar named Paul Schäfer. He seems to be a real expert on mentions of Jesus in the Talmud (commentary on the Torah inspired from a Jewish point of view).
I was - to put it mildly - shocked: Jesus is spoken almost exclusively in synonyms, one of which is the code name "Baalam", based on Bileam.

According to the Talmudic view, where is Jesus today? He is in the lowest hell, being boiled in human excrement and bodily fluids...

I would like to know which passages these are and why they are in the Talmud? Thanks.
Here are 2 videos that might have an answer to your question.

I haven't watched both of them in their entirety myself.

And one more -

Thank you very much for these videos.
(05-26-2022, 07:00 PM)Blue Bird Wrote: Thank you very much for these videos.

You are very welcome Blue Bird.

Let me know if they answer your questions.
Well I'm still confused. I would like to read the Talmud to get an idea... but those 7 years it would take is a long time. In the end I would no longer know what questions I had.

I haven't fully watched the videos yet. What I understand is that the first and last video say that Jesus is not mentioned in the Talmud and the second says that he might be mentioned. In the Christian forum, a member said that according to a Jewish scholar, Jesus is mentioned by a different name.

I don't know what to believe. What I take away from the videos is that things are not as clear as they seem and I'm glad I asked my question. Thanks again for the thought-provoking videos.
The Talmud is not something that you or even I can read and understand completely or from a plain reading, and I say that for a reason.

It was written a very long time ago and sometimes has what might be known as "hidden" meanings. Some things might stand out as, wow, where did they get that from? But those who do study and have a better understanding of why certain things were said, can explain where they may have got their thoughts from. Usually from other parts of the bible.

I know it sounds confusing, but some of Rabbi Fohrman's video's and books explain it better.

A good example might be what is referred to as Pharaoh's daughters arm being extended to reach out and grab Moses from the water.

As for Jesus in the Talmud, from what I understand, most say he is not as the time frame of those mentioned are far off from when Jesus was said to have lived.

Then there are others who say they may have been referring to him.

So I'm not sure what the answer is either!

But just don't take an outsiders explanation as truth without knowing what the truth really is.

Smile
I see, 7 years Talmud study wouldn't be enough....

That's exactly it, don't take an outsiders explanation as truth without knowing what the truth really is.

You know that we Christians always know better and we are sure of the truth   Wink

I'm afraid of the Talmud because a Jewish Christian said horrible things about what the Talmud would say about Jesus. But he didn't mention that it was an interpretation, he said it as fact. Also the man in the Christian forum said Jesus IS in the Talmud and He IS blasphemed there. I don't think this is fair and I reject this kind of "information".

I like the last video, he could actually be a good Christian preacher, too.
Many Christians don't know what the Talmud is, let alone what is written in it. So when someone from the Jewish people teaches what it says, we tend very much to believe it. So did I and it's hard to reverse what's once in the heart, especially if the message is so emotional. I didn't do it maliciously. When something is presented as truth by trusted people in a field you know nothing about, it's difficult to identify things that might be different.

So if you, serchinmyroots, and other Jewish scholars are unsure whether or not Jesus of Nazareth is in the Talmud, it's worth questioning what I've previously learned about the Talmud as truth. I posted one of the videos above on the Christian forum, maybe some others will give it a second thought as well.
Blue Bird,

I guess what I am saying is this -

The general consensus is that the Jesus of Christianity is not in the Talmud as the dates of when he was said to have lived do not coincide with what is written in the Talmud.

Also, the stories that are written in the Talmud about a person with a similar name, are different and do not coincide with what is written in the Christian bible. And if I'm not mistaken there are at least 2 different people with a similar name.

But I guess there are some who still think what is written is about the Jesus of Christianity, I'm not sure why.