The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Positive Portrayal of the Jewish People
Is there any place in the Christian bible where the Jewish people are portrayed in a positive light?

I see many, many places where they are said to do things wrong, but don't know of any places where it is said they do things right.
(01-02-2023, 08:40 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote: Is there any place in the Christian bible where the Jewish people are portrayed in a positive light?

I see many, many places where they are said to do things wrong, but don't know of any places where it is said they do things right.
Let me begin to respond by first asking you a question. Have you ever read any of the comments written by Orthodox Jews about non-Orthodox expressions of Judaism, any of the comments about non-Orthodox Jews, especially non-Orthodox rabbis and scholars?
בקש שלום ורדפהו
Funny question, SMR and thanks for it! I have to think about it. For now, given the late midnight hour, just a few things that come to mind right now.

As far as I know all the authors of the Christian Bible are Jews and attended the synagogue as long as they were allowed to. Of course they liked the Jews, their own people.

Just from my logic: If anyone discredited Jews, they would attack Jesus, who was himself a Jew.

The followers of Jesus are described as not too bright, very often it is mentioned that they did not understand anything that was said. The early Christians are sometimes portrayed in the Christian Bible in a very dubious light.

What do you mean by Jews or the Jewish people?
(01-02-2023, 09:12 PM)RabbiO Wrote:
(01-02-2023, 08:40 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote: Is there any place in the Christian bible where the Jewish people are portrayed in a positive light?

Let me begin to respond by first asking you a question. Have you ever read any of the comments written by Orthodox Jews about non-Orthodox expressions of Judaism, any of the comments about non-Orthodox Jews, especially non-Orthodox rabbis and scholars?

RabbiO,

I don't recall reading any as I usually stray from negative talk from Jews about other Jews. We're all Jewish as far as I am concerned.

I'd like to keep on topic as I am specifically asking about what is written in the Christian bible.
(01-02-2023, 11:32 PM)Blue Bird Wrote: Funny question, SMR and thanks for it! I have to think about it. For now, given the late midnight hour, just a few things that come to mind right now.

As far as I know all the authors of the Christian Bible are Jews and attended the synagogue as long as they were allowed to. Of course they liked the Jews, their own people.

Just from my logic: If anyone discredited Jews, they would attack Jesus, who was himself a Jew.

The followers of Jesus are described as not too bright, very often it is mentioned that they did not understand anything that was said. The early Christians are sometimes portrayed in the Christian Bible in a very dubious light.

What do you mean by Jews or the Jewish people?

All I am asking is for references as to where the Jewish people of the time are spoken of favorably in the Christian bible.

Are there any instances where they are commended?
SMR -

I’ll take you at your word that you have never read, never heard, any of the types of the comments I alluded to in my response to your post. Down the road we can discuss that issue specifically. Trust me, however that there was a point to my question that is quite germane to what you were asking about. It was not off topic. It was illustrative of an issue.
בקש שלום ורדפהו
I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for. Here are some passages:

Mark 12:28-34
Mark 15:42-43
Luke 1:5-6
Luke 7:37-38
Luke 19:8-9
Luke 23:40-41
John 1:47
Acts 5:34
Romans 3:1-2
Romans 11:18
2. Timothy 1:5
(01-03-2023, 03:47 AM)RabbiO Wrote: SMR -

I’ll take you at your word that you have never read, never heard, any of the types of the comments I alluded to in my response to your post. Down the road we can discuss that issue specifically. Trust me, however that there was a point to my question that is quite germane to what you were asking about. It was not off topic. It was illustrative of an issue.

RabbiO,

To be fair, I may have seen some headlines or article titles in reference to what you asked, but I don't recall ever reading them further. Of course I can't say I remember everything in the past so I may have read one once.
Great question. While I haven't read their religious texts, it seems everything I have heard about it mentions Jews in a negative light.
The Christian New Testament has plenty of seeds of antisemitism, some more full-grown than others. And the traditional Christian interpretations of their Old Testament is decidedly warped in favor of a Christian re-interpretation. Together, these tendencies have yielded a terrible societal prejudice against Jews often resulting in terrible violent murderous treatment of Jewish people. In its origins, however, the New Testament animosity toward 'Judaism' may have developed out of some limited persecution of early Christians by Jewish authorities. That in no way excuses or minimizes the horrible Christian crimes against Jews over the centuries. But it may help us better understand some of the New Testament writings in context.