The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A question about Jewish Priests
Hello

Please forgive me for picking your forum (it was the first on google), but I am a little troubled, and while I have purposely stopped posting on the internet to give me space to assimilate all that a Jewish Priest has kindly given me over two decades, I need a third viewpoint. And asking those who understand Jewish Priests seems to be the best idea. Apart from a thank you I don’t expect that I will trouble you again.

Background 

I value all religions and if you were to pin me down I would say that I was Gnostic. I am spiritual, feel close to God, but don’t have any personal need for religion, though I appreciate the value of religions to our world, in being there, helping and guiding.

I am a Scotsman, and while professionally qualified I am a career nowadays. Having an incurable cancer myself you will appreciate that I am trying to tidy up loose ends. I am also a bit of a social nitwit, so please bear that in mind if I inadvertently offend.

The Jewish Priest I know (through the internet) [Hi if you are here]

He is a kind, gentle, inspirational, nice man. For two decades he has helped me grow as a person, and I value him greatly. Over recent months he really has ‘brought me along’ with leaps and bounds, to the degree that I am taking a break to enable me to absorb, evaluate, reflect, on it all.

A second Jewish person I know

I discussed this with a lovely Jewish lady (who I probably won’t speak to again) and she echoed my views on reincarnation (which I understand some Jews believe in some don’t) and she seemed very happy at the guidance given to me by said Jewish priest.

That was both relief from the confirmation and also a little worrying.

Why Worrying.

I won’t bore you with the details, as it is likely to lead to disharmony, but in essence this Jewish Priest is of the opinion that I have been, and have, an important part to play in human evolution, with the support from on high (or however you want to phrase it). A few others seem to share this opinion.

The trouble is that while certain events in my life would arguably support this, I just:

1. Don’t consider myself to be a good enough person.
2. Don’t see how I could make any further meaningful impact in our world, in any realistic way.
3. Am not sure that I am responsible enough.

Etc.

So my questions:

1. I googled this, but I think it best to get a more reliable explanation. But what exactly is a Jewish Priest?
2. Do Jewish Priests commonly identify people who they believe, in essence, who are here to do great things? 
3. Not wanting to get into religious difficulties, but surely you would expect Jewish Priest to identify Jews for such great work?

I am just trying to get another perspective on where he is coming from. 

I guess I have trouble believing (remember I am a Gnostic) and feel a direct connection with God after a near death experience when I nearly died in hospital. After going through and passing an ancient Egyptian weighing of the heart ceremony where I questioned the Gods (I could not believe that I had passed), they laughed and sent me round again on a more Christian path, where as I was about to take that last final step, I was informed that God wanted me to return. It was a freewill choice. No job or task was given to me. I really wanted to get out of here and take that final step (which as a family man I know sounds heartless), but I put my faith in God and returned to feeling much better instantly. Though it took a couple of years to fully recover my energy.

I was in hospital with a fever after a cut in my ear got infected. I recognise that I may well have just been hallucinating in a fever spike. 

I just want people to be nicer to each other. Less bullying, less war, less money addiction (which I believe to be the source of a lot of bad stuff).

I am happy to die when my cancer gets me, and simply report back on my view of humanity (we need to evolve past those negative base instincts). But I can’t ignore this Jewish Priest.

Which is why I want to understand a little better what role Jewish Priests have.

Thank you in advance.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kohen
(02-15-2023, 11:53 PM)ctjacobs Wrote: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kohen

Thank you ctjacobs, and to the forum admin for allowing this post.

I won’t bother this forum again.

Best wishes.

Stewart.
Thanks for stopping by Stewart, you don't have to leave.

It's just been a bit slow here on the forum for a while.

Maybe something here might better help answer your question -

https://www.chabad.org/search/results.as...#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=preists&gsc.page=1
No bother at all. We enjoy talking to people. Stop by any time.
(02-17-2023, 02:21 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote: Thanks for stopping by Stewart, you don't have to leave.

It's just been a bit slow here on the forum for a while.

Maybe something here might better help answer your question -

https://www.chabad.org/search/results.as...#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=preists&gsc.page=1

Thank you Searchinmyroots

That link is very helpful. From an article “Kingdom of Priests” by Tali Loewenthal, it seems that his work with me is spot on. I tried to quote the relevant bit but it didn’t work. 

This leaves me in a little bit of a pickle, for after two decades of trying, and failing (to the best of my knowledge) to make our world a better place, I am ready to back away and let others try. But now I understand better why he has high hopes for me.

I feel close/connected to God, and he tells me that I have a lot of support ‘up there’. I now understand better why he is able to tell me such things with calm authority. Thank you Searchinmyroots.

So, the big question that I am taking a break (he says typing here) from the Internet, to reflect upon: do I simply accept I gave it my best shot and hope someone else steps up (my preferred option), or do I, as he might write, ‘grasp my spiritual authority’ and drive forwards/plod on? (There must be better qualified people out there than me). Twenty years ago I was champing at the bit, but nowadays I really (in any remotely realistic way) don’t see how I could make any sort of positive difference. I know that either way God is happy that I have done enough (that was confirmed to me in my NDE).

Enough blabbering, I need to get back to reflecting. Thanks again Searchinmyroots.
You're very welcome Stewart!

The way I see things, this is a lifelong journey for all of us, no matter who we are or where we are from. Every little bit of good that we do (and big bits too!) helps to make the world a better place.

And we do not even know how it will impact future generations.

So don't stop, keep driving forward and plod on! The is no one better than you because every individual is unique and has something to offer in a different way.

Oh, and one last thing - You didn't fail!!
(02-17-2023, 05:57 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote: You're very welcome Stewart!

The way I see things, this is a lifelong journey for all of us, no matter who we are or where we are from. Every little bit of good that we do (and big bits too!) helps to make the world a better place.

And we do not even know how it will impact future generations.

So don't stop, keep driving forward and plod on! The is no one better than you because every individual is unique and has something to offer in a different way.

Oh, and one last thing - You didn't fail!!
Thank you again, Searchinmyroots, you probably have no idea how much your words have helped to comprehend, in practical terms how I could ‘grasp my spiritual authority’ as this Priest has been encouraging me to do. Funny how things can work tangentially.

But the fact remains, I doubt in myself that I am (in essence responsible enough) to ensure that, given the implications of ‘driving forwards further’, I don’t myself get diverted again by darkness (ego (my main concern), money addiction, desire for power, fear of losing it, etc). 

This is a bit like when I was eagerly ready to take that final step in life, but decided to place my trust in God and accept his freewill request to consider returning here, even though I desperately wanted to take that final step.

Except this time, I know that whichever route I follow has Gods blessing. 

My preferred option of simply reporting back on death on human evolution, or grasping this opportunity (that because of this forum I now feel is likely more than one Priests perspective), and actively ‘grasping that spiritual authority’ and trying to achieve more human evolution during my lifetime. 

Bearing in mind that I cannot see how I could achieve any more without considerable real world resources (where I have seen a plan for years now, using my wide ranging education and qualifications to work above, but in, the system, to effectively inspire evolution. But that requires working with darkness. Which brings me back to whether I am responsible enough nowadays not to fall again into darkness myself. Even if there was a chance that those resources were available to me (extremely unlikely in any realistic way, but a fun metaphysical diversion).

Maybe it is just the effects of Dexamethasone (a cancer steroid that can make you mind do funny things), or maybe I am suffering from an undiagnosed mental illness. But I am sure you can appreciate just how unlikely it is for someone to be in this sort of position.

I am babbling again Searchinmyroots. Sorry. I need to get back to critically reflecting. I just wanted you to know just how helpful, powerful, useful, your words have been. Thank you again.
One of my favorite quotes is from Pirke Avot: "You are not required to complete your work, yet neither are you permitted to desist from it". I think this gentleman's thoughts on it are spot on: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/201302261...ears%20ago.

concentrate of the effort, not the outcome.
Chavak I haven’t used LinkedIn for a while, but I will retrieve my password later to read your link. Thank you in advance.