The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it normal?
I am born Jewish. I am an observant MO Jew for the fact that I want a structured life (following rules and keeping mitzvot, praying fixed prayers... gives meaning and routine to my life), because I want to be a part of my community, and because I am all against assimilation.
THE PROBLEM: I don't believe in G-d as understood by mainstream Judaism. I am agnostic and not sure what happens after death and I believe nobody has the truth.
With that said, I repeat: I am a very rigid person and need a strict routine in my life. That's why I observe this branch of Judaism. It gives meaning to my life.
Am I gone crazy?
Dudu,

Thanks for joining the forum. The first posts are moderated to help keep out spam and bots.

So........ Is It Normal?

I'm not sure I know what normal is!

I would say it is common with some Jewish people.

No one can force you to believe one way or another, you have to dive deep into it and come up with your own conclusion. Judaism isn't really about death though, it is about life! Life and how to live it, to be respectful, kind, loving and giving to others. To be "all you can be" (yes, stole that from a tag line) and to use your skills to help yourself and others grow.

So, if you feel inclined to do so, you'll just have to read/watch "compelling" arguments for both sides and decide what you believe. You may still be unsure, but that's okay, you are not alone.

So here is my answer to your question - It's not abnormal.
No, I don't think you have gone crazy. I have met others who felt the same as you. Judaism and Jews run such a wide spectrum of belief and observance that I'm not sure we can really say what is "abnormal".
I am Jewish by birth, but I am agnostic.  I believe in God, but I am not really interested in any of the typical Jewish religious activities.  I don't care if my food is kosher or not (I am a vegetarian, which means, most of my food is kosher by nature).  Once in a while, I go to have Shabbat in the Synagoge, but more for the socializing aspect than for the religious service.
I am actually pretty proud to be Jewish, because of the resilience our people have shown throughout the centuries.
I think Jews come in any shape and from, and we are not different that other people of a certain group.
Dr. Linde XXX