The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Judaism: Are there any relatively quick way to become a Jew?
Alright so, I am a non-Jew, but I would like to become a Jew.

I live in England (East-Midlands), and, in the town where I live there are no Synagogues.  There are two in the same county as me, but they are a long way away, and I don't drive. 

I have contacted people at both synagogues, asking them about how I can become a Jew, and they both say that I must do a year long course and attend services and such, before I can become a Jew.  One said that I can attend services via Zoom.

Another problem I have is that I have a severe mental illness, and I struggle to concentrate - so I am sceptical that I could complete a year-long course anyway.

I just wanted to make this thread to ask: are there any quicker ways to become a Jew?  Like, maybe there are some shorter online courses which have a real-life swimming pool baptism at the end or something? 

I just feel a little lost.

To anyone who gives me a helpful reply, thanks in advance.
Let me ask you a question if I might. How much at this point do you actually know about Judaism? Are you aware that Judaism is not monolithic, that there are a variety of different movements, different denominations if you will, that are each, though some might argue against that position, valid and authentic expressions of Judaism?

In England there are Orthodox congregations, as well as Hasidic, Masorti, Liberal, and Reform. Depending upon under whose auspices one converts, that conversion may or may not be recognized as valid.

I know of a couple of options that have at least a partial online component, but none of them are exactly quickie and I am not familiar enough with any of them to be able to tell you to what extent a conversion through them would be considered valid.
בקש שלום ורדפהו
Is there baptism in water in Judaism?
(06-14-2023, 09:43 AM)Blue Bird Wrote: Is there baptism in water in Judaism?

As you may be aware the terms "baptize" and "baptism" derive from the Greek word meaning to immerse.

An essential part of the traditional Jewish conversion process is tevilah, a complete immersion in water, most often in a mikveh. I think it rather obvious that the nascent Christian movement, which was, of course, originally Jewish, adopted and adapted this procedure.
בקש שלום ורדפהו
(06-14-2023, 06:51 PM)RabbiO Wrote:
(06-14-2023, 09:43 AM)Blue Bird Wrote: Is there baptism in water in Judaism?

As you may be aware the terms "baptize" and "baptism" derive from the Greek word meaning to immerse.

An essential part of the traditional Jewish conversion process is tevilah, a complete immersion in water, most often in a mikveh. I think it rather obvious that the nascent Christian movement, which was, of course, originally Jewish, adopted and adapted this procedure.

That's fascinating. Thank you Rabbi.
(06-14-2023, 12:32 AM)RabbiO Wrote: Let me ask you a question if I might. How much at this point do you actually know about Judaism? Are you aware that Judaism is not monolithic, that there are a variety of different movements, different denominations if you will, that are each, though some might argue against that position, valid and authentic expressions of Judaism?

In England there are Orthodox congregations, as well as Hasidic, Masorti, Liberal, and Reform. Depending upon under whose auspices one converts, that conversion may or may not be recognized as valid.

I know of a couple of options that have at least a partial online component, but none of them are exactly quickie and I am not familiar enough with any of them to be able to tell you to what extent a conversion through them would be considered valid.
Hello RabbiO.  Srry for the late reply.  To answer your question about how much I know about Judaism: I know tid-bits of information which pertain to questions I had about Judaism in the past.  Some information I have forgotten.  For example, I know that some (or all) Jews were enslaved by Egyptians in the past; some Jews believe in eternal damnation in the afterlife; Jews do not regard the book of Luke as valid scripture awell as the rest of the New Testament; no work allowed from sunset on Friday Evening to sunset on Saturday evening; Jews can drink alcohol; Jews can have dogs as pegs; most Synagogues each have a Torah Scroll.  I can recite the 6-word version of the Shema.  I have read that 'evil eye' bracelet and necklaces offer protection from evil; The Torah comprises Deuteronomy, Numbers, Genesis, Exodus and Leviticus (I have not read them.  And info I have learned about Israel, like Israel is unique in that (weird info incoming) dates and figs are native to Israel, and other countries do not have such sweet foods native to them.  That's all i can think of right now.
(06-17-2023, 11:51 AM)DutifulWebmaster Wrote: Hello RabbiO.  Srry for the late reply.  To answer your question about how much I know about Judaism: I know tid-bits of information which pertain to questions I had about Judaism in the past.  Some information I have forgotten.  For example, I know that some (or all) Jews were enslaved by Egyptians in the past; some Jews believe in eternal damnation in the afterlife; Jews do not regard the book of Luke as valid scripture awell as the rest of the New Testament; no work allowed from sunset on Friday Evening to sunset on Saturday evening; Jews can drink alcohol; Jews can have dogs as pegs; most Synagogues each have a Torah Scroll.  I can recite the 6-word version of the Shema.  I have read that 'evil eye' bracelet and necklaces offer protection from evil; The Torah comprises Deuteronomy, Numbers, Genesis, Exodus and Leviticus (I have not read them.  And info I have learned about Israel, like Israel is unique in that (weird info incoming) dates and figs are native to Israel, and other countries do not have such sweet foods native to them.  That's all i can think of right now.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from eventually converting to Judaism, but I get the sense that before you can really even consider such a decision you should obtain a greater degree of general knowledge about Judaism than you seem to have. Would you like some recommendations?
בקש שלום ורדפהו
(06-25-2023, 09:28 PM)RabbiO Wrote:
(06-17-2023, 11:51 AM)DutifulWebmaster Wrote: Hello RabbiO.  Srry for the late reply.  To answer your question about how much I know about Judaism: I know tid-bits of information which pertain to questions I had about Judaism in the past.  Some information I have forgotten.  For example, I know that some (or all) Jews were enslaved by Egyptians in the past; some Jews believe in eternal damnation in the afterlife; Jews do not regard the book of Luke as valid scripture awell as the rest of the New Testament; no work allowed from sunset on Friday Evening to sunset on Saturday evening; Jews can drink alcohol; Jews can have dogs as pegs; most Synagogues each have a Torah Scroll.  I can recite the 6-word version of the Shema.  I have read that 'evil eye' bracelet and necklaces offer protection from evil; The Torah comprises Deuteronomy, Numbers, Genesis, Exodus and Leviticus (I have not read them.  And info I have learned about Israel, like Israel is unique in that (weird info incoming) dates and figs are native to Israel, and other countries do not have such sweet foods native to them.  That's all i can think of right now.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from eventually converting to Judaism, but I get the sense that before you can really even consider such a decision you should obtain a greater degree of general knowledge about Judaism than you seem to have. Would you like some recommendations?

Yes, that would be great.  I would like to do some kind of course, because I have been told I must complete one prior to being initiated.