The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Isaiah 9
(06-15-2023, 05:16 PM)ctjacobs Wrote: BTW about "I'll stick with the Jewish sources who speak the language the Hebrew bible was written in." I don't expect classical Hebrew be their native tongue either. And modern Hebrew is different, that does have past/present/future just like western languages. 

I'm speaking of the sages who did speak classical Hebrew, not modern Jewish people and modern Hebrew.
Ok sorry then I misunderstood. I thought you was speaking about the owners of https://www.ancient-hebrew.org/roots-wor...-verbs.htm which sages do you mean?
(06-15-2023, 07:05 PM)ctjacobs Wrote: Ok sorry then I misunderstood. I thought you was speaking about the owners of https://www.ancient-hebrew.org/roots-wor...-verbs.htm which sages do you mean?

The owners of that site are referring to how the language was used during the time of the sages.

They are not speaking about modern Hebrew.
(06-15-2023, 07:18 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote:
(06-15-2023, 07:05 PM)ctjacobs Wrote: Ok sorry then I misunderstood. I thought you was speaking about the owners of https://www.ancient-hebrew.org/roots-wor...-verbs.htm which sages do you mean?

The owners of that site are referring to how the language was used during the time of the sages.

The Christians also are referring to etcetera.
I should really get a classical Hebrew grammar by atheists  Smile
(06-15-2023, 07:30 PM)ctjacobs Wrote:

So are you saying Rabbi Singer and Uri Yosef don't know or understand the original Hebrew?

We have a pretty good, very long, chain that goes back 1000's of years.
(06-15-2023, 07:40 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote:

So are you saying Rabbi Singer and Uri Yosef don't know or understand the original Hebrew?

I say it is not their _first_  language. Nothing more or less. And now please mention some sages for who it _is_ it the first language.
(06-15-2023, 07:59 PM)ctjacobs Wrote:

I say it is not their _first_  language. Nothing more or less. And now please mention some sages for who it _is_ it the first language.

Isaiah
(06-15-2023, 08:15 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote:
(06-15-2023, 07:59 PM)ctjacobs Wrote:
(06-15-2023, 07:18 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote: The owners of that site are referring to how the language was used during the time of the sages.

Isaiah
well I guess now I have to look for a translation of Isaiah by atheists.
My youtube comment still did not show up but that is irrelevant now.
I read the other youtube comments and @eytanbaruk3085 said it much better than I ever could.

@abc_6  You clearly are unaware of Prophetic Perfect Tense in Hebrew grammar.
Leave interpretation to real Jews, I am descendant of Abarbanel.
I will classically school anyone on this topic.
Please repent chaver.
Why the Rambam say Isaiah 9 is about Moshiach? Is Tovia better than Rambam?

I looked up Isaiah 9 rambam (Google is Great) and I found this:

How odd is your remark about this man, that he is renowned for his meekness and a little wisdom,
as if these were indeed the attributes of the Messiah. Do these characteristics make him a Messiah?
You were beguiled by him because you have not considered the pre-eminence of the Messiah,
the manner and place of his appearance, and the marks whereby he is to be identified.
The Messiah, indeed, ranks after Moses in eminence and distinction,
and God has bestowed some gifts upon him which he did not bestow upon Moses,
as may be gathered from the following verses: "His delight shall be in the fear of the Lord." (Isaiah 11:3).
"The Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him." (11:2). "And Righteousness shall be the girdle of his loins." (11:5).
Six appellations were divinely conferred upon him as the following passage indicates:
"For a child is born unto us, and a son is given unto us, and the government is upon his shoulder,
and he is called Pele, Yoetz, el, Gibbor, Abiad, Sar-Shalom." (Isaiah 9:5). And another verse alluding to the
Messiah culminates in the following manner "Thou art my son, this day have I begotten thee." (Psalms 2:7).
All these statements demonstrate the pre-eminence of the Messiah.

Epistle to Yemen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUygY3pusdM