The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jeremiah 31
So can someone please tell me exactly where it is clearly written anywhere in the Hebrew bible - "The Messiah will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day"???

Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors. 
(Jesaja 53,12)

But he (Jesus) answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas: For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. 
(Mattäus 12, 39-40)

And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights. 
(Jona 1,17)

If the Mormon bible said something was written in the Christian bible that you could not find, wouldn't you be curious to know why they said that or what they were referring to?

No.
(08-13-2023, 03:06 PM)Blue Bird Wrote: So can someone please tell me exactly where it is clearly written anywhere in the Hebrew bible - "The Messiah will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day"???

Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors. 
(Jesaja 53,12)

But he (Jesus) answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas: For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. 
(Mattäus 12, 39-40)

And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights. 
(Jona 1,17)

If the Mormon bible said something was written in the Christian bible that you could not find, wouldn't you be curious to know why they said that or what they were referring to?

No.

Thank you Blue Bird.

I'm sorry but I don't see where what is claimed is written in Luke is written in the Hebrew bible.

Here is what it says in Luke -
"He told them, “This is what is written: The Messiah will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, 47 and repentance for the forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem (NIV Version)"

Isaiah 53 doesn't say anything about a messiah suffering and rising from the dead on the 3rd day.

Jonah doesn't say anything about a messiah suffering and rising from the dead on the 3rd day.

Isaiah 53 doesn't mention a messiah or number of days dead or rising.

Jonah talks about being in a fish, not about dying and rising from the dead on the 3rd day. Nothing about a messiah or being dead.
It's strange that Jonah is even referred to as the whole story of Jonah is about how a very sinful non-Jewish nation repented from their sins and was forgiven, without any sacrifices.

Luke says it is written that the messiah will suffer and rise from the dead on the 3rd day. That seems pretty clear to me as to what is being said.

On the other hand, I do not see anything in the Hebrew bible that is written as clear without taking parts of verses from different places and putting them together.

Seems like a very far stretch to me.
You're waiting for a messiah, aren't you? Maybe I missed the book. Where in the Hebrew Bible is the one coherent and chronological prophecy of the coming Messiah found?
(08-13-2023, 05:33 PM)Blue Bird Wrote: You're waiting for a messiah, aren't you? Maybe I missed the book. Where in the Hebrew Bible is the one coherent and chronological prophecy of the coming Messiah found?

Good question Blue Bird.

The Hebrew bible has many places that are clear and concise as to what will happen and what the world will be like when a branch from King David arrives.

Isaiah 11 comes to mind as one of them.

You see, we are waiting for our messiah (who is only alluded to and never mentioned by name) and just as importantly, what the world will be like when he arrives as is mentioned over and over again in the Hebrew bible.

But that has nothing to do with what the verses in Luke are claiming.
(08-13-2023, 12:42 AM)RabbiO Wrote: SMR and Blue Bird -

I can be the adult in the room if need be, but I would prefer for the two of you to work out, figure out, how to respond to and converse with one another in a less contentious, more civil manner, than I have seen of late. There are irreconcilable differences between Christianity and Judaism. I do not make light of that, but that does not mean we cannot deal one with the other without anger and ill feeling.

I don’t want to be the adult in the room. I get to be that an awful lot in the world outside this forum.

Thanks for the reminder, RabbiO! Yes it's sad when we fight. Perhaps you have a new topic that everybody enjoys?
I haven’t posted in awhile but I still look in occasionally.  One thing I’ve tried to be mindful of in the past is the thread I am posting to.

That said, is this not the Counter-Missionary section of the forum?

That means, to me, countering views outside of Judaism.  I think if a person challenges those views shouldn’t they expect some opposition? 

Since this is a Jewish forum I would expect a Jewish perspective.  That would mean my not taking offense when my (Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist) or any other belief system conflicts with what Judaism teaches. 

Is that not a reasonable expectation?
(08-13-2023, 07:31 PM)Dana Wrote: I haven’t posted in awhile but I still look in occasionally.  One thing I’ve tried to be mindful of in the past is the thread I am posting to.

That said, is this not the Counter-Missionary section of the forum?

That means, to me, countering views outside of Judaism.  I think if a person challenges those views shouldn’t they expect some opposition? 

Since this is a Jewish forum I would expect a Jewish perspective.  That would mean my not taking offense when my (Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist) or any other belief system conflicts with what Judaism teaches. 

Is that not a reasonable expectation?

Nice to see you Dana. I thought Judaism was one thing and anti-Christianity was another. But it seems messed up in a way I don't understand yet.
Hi Bluebird,  and it’s nice to see you as well.  Maybe because Judaism and Christianity share many of the same scriptures it can seem messed up.  I get that.  I think many of us are searching for truth and sometimes our emotions get ahead of us on subjects that are near and dear.  I am speaking about myself of course.

Years ago I had purchased 2 of Rabbi Singer’s books that demonstrated differences in the religions and I was able to learn from him.  He always answered the Christians with respect in the Q&A section of the book. 

I’ve always felt it depends on if one is willing to challenge their own beliefs.  I was ready to have mine challenged.  My knowledge of the Hebrew language and his Torah and Tanakh examples were convincing for me.  But I realize this style of teaching may not be for everyone.

I would only suggest that this section of the forum can be a challenge to one’s beliefs while the rest of the forum is open for more enjoyable topics.

I appreciate your passion!
Good to "see" you Dana, hope you are doing well!
(08-14-2023, 02:16 AM)searchinmyroots Wrote: Good to "see" you Dana, hope you are doing well!

Very good to see you as well, Searchinmyroots.  I am doing fine and I hope you are doing the same.