The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Converting to Judaism
So I've been thinking about converting for about a year or two now because I feel a connection to the Jewish faith and the Jewish interpretation of G-d and I want to further my connection by converting. I have a lot of questions though, some have been answered but I am still left with a lot. 

My first question is that I want to convert through the Chabad which is because I want to convert through an Orthodox manor, but is it ok to just walk in and request to speak with someone?

My second question furthers my first which is should I wear a Kippah if/when I walk into a Chabad to ask about a Rabbi to support my conversion? I know it's a sign of respect, I just don't want to offend anyone since I'm not Jewish yet.

My third question is will the Rabbi turn me away? I have heard from lots of people that very often the Rabbi will just turn me away from converting. My full reason for converting is that I feel a connection with the Jewish faith and G-d and that rather than continuing living by the laws of Noah I am ready to fully embrace the religion and even further my connection with G-d and Judaism. Will the Rabbi turn this reason down? And if he does turn that down what then? 

I have done lots of reading of Jewish books like "This Is My God" by Herman Wouk, and "To Pray As A Jew" by Hayim Donin. I've also done reading of Scriptures like a good bit of the Torah and Tanakh, along with some of the Siddur, Talmud, and Midrash. I've done research about Jewish values and practices along with Laws and Holidays. I am currently learning to read Hebrew which I can do but I'm trying to get better and be able to read it at a good pace without stuttering and having to repeat the word multiple times.

I have lots of other questions so if you are someone with lots of knowledge about Judaism and want to include a way to contact you it would mean so much, it's not necessary though.
You can try to walk in and speak to someone at Chabad, but I would suggest calling and making an appointment if you can. They tend to be very busy. I don't believe Chabad itself will do conversions. They do sponsor people but send you to a non-Chabad bet din for conversion. Assuming that you would not be going into a Chabad synagogue I don't think it necessary to wear a kippah. It can go either way, so do what is comfortable for you. It is more than likely that he will turn you down several times. If you call and leave a message for a call back he might ignore your call and not return them. Which is why you might eventually have to just walk in. They turn you down initially because no one has to be a Jew, it's a huge lifetime commitment and they want to make sure you know what you are getting into. You are converting not only into a religion but into a people and it's going to be a major change. You will have to move into the community and more than likely attend shul for awhile before he even will discuss conversion. You will have to be persistent and dedicated. There are other options to convert Orthodox besides Chabad so don't be afraid to attend several synagogues and see which seems to fit you best.
Hello Logan and welcome to the forum.

Thanks for sharing your journey with us!

I think Chava may have answered your first 3 questions.

We're ready for more if you have any!
Just saw this article in my feed.

Although you probably already know most of what is written, I figured I would post it just in case.

https://aish.com/how-to-convert-to-judaism/?src=ac