The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Debate
I thought this debate was presented very respectfully and provided time to each individual to respond without interruption.

Please listen to the questions and the answers. Do you believe the Hebrew bible for what it and G-d says?

Will this change your beliefs? Probably not, but if you truly have an open heart to listen carefully, it might provide some food for thought.

Thanks, but thanks, no. I found my faith.
I'll give you a really quick summary.

It basically shows that Christians are led by "the spirit" and that Jewish people are led by the Torah.
Considering all the hours you spend thinking about Christian scriptures you should perhaps become a Christian.
I'll stick with the Book of Life.
A good interview!  I thought the discussions as well as moderation of the debate was fair to both sides.  Rabbi Singer had mentioned that he did not even know he was entering a debate and yet he remained thoughtful and considerate during his responses. 

It was interesting also listening to the two very different approaches while discussing verses.

If I were still a Christian this discussion would have given me pause, and yes, “food for thought” to seek further but it would not have changed my belief. 

I think to actually change a belief, a good deal of time and study are needed because for many people it acts as an anchor.  An internal support system.
(09-14-2023, 11:46 AM)searchinmyroots Wrote: I'll stick with the Book of Life.

I would like to know, expressed as a percentage...
- How much time do you spend thinking about Christian scriptures?
- How much time do you need to practice the rituals of Judaism (things that have nothing to do with the Christian faith)
Do you think most Jews do it that way? Is this fight against Christianity part of Judaism or does it vary from Jew to Jew?

I clicked on the forum you mentioned in another post and was shocked to see that there are 3.3 times more posts on the Counter Missionary Forum than on the General Judaism Forum.
I'm sorry Blue Bird, I don't record time spent on what I read or listen to.

I will tell you that I pray and read from Jewish texts everyday, read the parsha on Shabbat and attend services for just about all of the Jewish holidays. I also watch videos and listen to podcasts from Jewish speakers.

I don't really spend any time "thinking" of Christian scriptures. I do respond and try to understand when Christian scriptures are given to me as proof texts or when someone tells me about what it says.

I have no idea how to answer your question because I'm not sure what you mean by "most Jews". There are millions of Jews of all beliefs, some with no beliefs at all. Remember, being Jewish and observing Judaism are two different things.

I don't see a "fight' against Christianity. I see a "response" to missionaries who repeatedly missionize to the Jews people, some in very sneaky ways.

I'm sure there may be some who consider it a fight. But most are just standing up for their own beliefs.

Just imagine Jehovah Witnesses coming to you every day from different angles trying to get you to believe what they do.

You can either ignore them, which most people do, or sit down with them and have a discussion, which I have done several times.

Also, it was the study of the so called proof texts that were constantly thrown at me that led me to "search my roots" and begin my journey home.

It is more of a defense, not a fight.

Sorry if you feel otherwise.
Thank you very much for letting me know how you practice Judaism.

Jehovas Witnesses often show up at my door because I talk to them regularly. I enjoy the conversations with them. If they want to give me stuff or invite me to their services, I say “no” or give them literature that I give to people on the streets. Companies want me to buy a new couch or wine, and I don't freak out either.

You can call your fight defense if you want to. It wouldn't sound so nice if you called it hatred or fight. I know people who are against Jews and they call their arguments "defence" and "revealing the truth". In my opinion it's neither about the search for truth nor about defense.

I would like to know whether this defense, this hatred, or whatever you would call it, is (an essential) part of Judaism and rooted in your teachings and literature.
Tonight begins the holiest, the most intense season in the Jewish calendar - Rosh HaShanah, the Days of Awe, Yom Kippur.

On one level this type of conversation you two are engaged in is very appropriate for this time of year, but on another level it is not.

I’m going to suggest that you folks put this conversation on hold for a bit. I’d like to aid you in navigating your way through this conversation because the direction and tone it is taking on do not auger well.

Right now I don’t exactly have a the time to do that and if I’m going to try I need to do it right. So how about you give each other a bit of space.
בקש שלום ורדפהו