The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General: Fasting on Yom Kippur
I looked at Leviticus 23 to see what it said about fasting. It looks like it says that one should deny themself on Yom Kippur, but does not specifically mention fasting (although that is certainly one way of denial). I was wondering how and when the tradition of fasting on Yom Kippur came to be. Thanks.
(09-25-2023, 08:04 PM)londobill Wrote: I looked at Leviticus 23 to see what it said about fasting. It looks like it says that one should deny themself on Yom Kippur, but does not specifically mention fasting (although that is certainly one way of denial). I was wondering how and when the tradition of fasting on Yom Kippur came to be. Thanks.

The delineation of the specific modes of self-denial is found in the Talmud, specifically page 74b of the tractate Yoma.

This is the translation and explanation available on Sefaria

"Surely, the verse states with regard to one who violates Yom Kippur: “I will destroy that soul from among his people” (Leviticus 23:30). Therefore, affliction is something that destroys a soul. And what is that? That is refraining from eating and drinking, since someone who does not eat and drink at all will die."