The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
anti-semitism in Europe
How alarmed do you think European Jews should be about the rise of Anti-semitism ?
Is Israel safe to move to since there is risk of war ?

what should a European jew do ?
I'd be pretty alarmed and thinking about moving to Israel. Here is just one more recent occurrence:
https://www.timesofisrael.com/belgian-ca...s-of-jews/

[Image: Puppets-of-Jews-on-display-at-the-Aalst-...40x400.jpg]
(03-05-2019, 05:59 AM)Chavak Wrote: I'd be pretty alarmed and thinking about moving to Israel. Here is just one more recent occurrence:

That's pretty frightening.  The thing is that this isn't anything new in the Aalst carnival (and a few other European, pre-Easter carnivals).  They've been resurrecting these medieval tropes for a very long time.  Add to this the fact that UNESCO promotes this carnival on their website as part of their "Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity" and, well...  But then, UNESCO has become increasingly politicized and anti-Israel so, no surprise there.
Heart !לחיים

We are living in a world that is becoming increasingly inured to the most vile manifestations of nativism and bigotry, and this is true for the US and Israel every bit as much as it is for Belgium and Argentina.

Faced with this, we can either build bridges and seek to strengthen them or build walls and seek to retreat behind them. Each response has its place, but only the former holds out the possibility for a better world.
To be is to stand for. - Abraham Joshua Heschel
Yes, come to Israel. Smile
(03-05-2019, 12:10 PM)Channalee Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 05:59 AM)Chavak Wrote: I'd be pretty alarmed and thinking about moving to Israel. Here is just one more recent occurrence:

That's pretty frightening.  The thing is that this isn't anything new in the Aalst carnival (and a few other European, pre-Easter carnivals).  They've been resurrecting these medieval tropes for a very long time.  Add to this the fact that UNESCO promotes this carnival on their website as part of their "Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity" and, well...  But then, UNESCO has become increasingly politicized and anti-Israel so, no surprise there.

You can bet UNESCO would never allow this to happen with Islam or Arabs.
(03-05-2019, 03:59 PM)Chavak Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 12:10 PM)Channalee Wrote:

You can bet UNESCO would never allow this to happen with Islam or Arabs.

The United Nations certainly seems (within the past decade or more) to have developed a pro-Arab/anti-Israel bias.  Issues of human rights are basically ignored in the Arab states, while a number of Arab UN members condemn Israel.
Heart !לחיים

It appears that anti-semetism was what influenced Herzl to encourage people to move to the Jewish state as a response to the Jewish question. As much as I don't support the modern state, I do believe it is better for the Jewry to move there.
"All the ends of the earth shall remember and turn to the Lord, and all the families of the nations shall worship before you. For kingship belongs to the Lord, and he rules over the nations." - Psalm 22:17-28

Historically Protestant, Confessionally Reformed, Theologically Baptist.
(03-05-2019, 04:54 PM)Channalee Wrote: The United Nations certainly seems (within the past decade or more) to have developed a pro-Arab/anti-Israel bias.  Issues of human rights are basically ignored in the Arab states, while a number of Arab UN members condemn Israel.

The UN is totally biased and gets no respect from me.
(03-06-2019, 03:20 PM)Chavak Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 04:54 PM)Channalee Wrote: The United Nations certainly seems (within the past decade or more) to have developed a pro-Arab/anti-Israel bias.  Issues of human rights are basically ignored in the Arab states, while a number of Arab UN members condemn Israel.

The UN is totally biased and gets no respect from me.

Me neither.
Heart !לחיים