The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hebrew: What's correct Hebrew for "Harcheich Mishachei, Ra" (Pirke Avot) Baal Shem Tov
At 30:00-30:33, I hear it as "Harcheik Mishachei, Ra".  Can someone help me with the correct Hebrew translation/English transliteration?  

Who Was The Ba'al Shem Tov? Founder of Hasidism Jewish History Lecture Dr. Henry Abramson

details: 

I was leisurely studying Jewish history through youtube and I encountered this video about the Baal Shem Tov.  In this video (at time 30:00-30:33), a teaching of the Baal Shem Tov spoke to my heart.  I'd been avoiding people because of the ideology of staying away from negative people. It's somewhat a common thinking nowadays and it was surprising it was in a mishnah of Pirke Avot "separate yourself from a bad neighbor". But the Baal Shem Tov, contradicts this saying the comma was misplaced and the correct meaning is: "If you distance yourself from a neighbor, that's a bad thing."

I'm not a Hebrew speaker but I am familiar with the alphabet and some words, and can read and write Hebrew.  However, I am not able to figure out the Hebrew of what the Baal Shem Tov said.  I like to know the original Hebrew reference in the Pirke Avot and study more about it.  In the video, I hear it as "Harkeych Mishachei, Ra".  Can someone help me with the correct Hebrew translation/transliteration?   Heart
Welcome dianneerlandez - Glad you joined. . . Your first 3 posts are moderated for approval. We get spammers and bots. We have a good many people that will be able to help with your question.
Try Chapter 1, Mishna 7

And... Welcome to the forum!
Heart !לחיים

Correct transliteration is "harcheik mishachein ra". It means "distance [yourself]/ from neighbor / evil" Assuming the Baal Shem Tov actually said it (many things are said in his name that aren't necessarily from him), he was probably using it as a means of expressing his thought. Grammatically, I don't think that interpretation would actually fit, since the first word is written in the imperative (although I'm not the best at grammar tbh).
Also as you've expressed them, the two ideas are not necessarily contradictory. The Mishnha is talking about distancing yourself from a bad neighbor. The idea you're talking about can be interpreted as just generally being antisocial or something.
Welcome dianneerlandez.

ואל תתחבר לרשע. The second part of the statement from Pirkei Avot, "Do not associate with a wicked person," reinforces the idea of distancing oneself from a bad neighbor. To my ears the interpretation in the video, by Dr. Abramson removes making any personal judgement on the character of the individual/neighbor, whereas, Pirkei Avot makes an allowance to do so.  The two ideas to my ears contradict. Maybe I'm misunderstanding too.