The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can we list the potential ways of transliterating Polish Ashkenazi בֵּית, בֵֿית, פֵֿא
Can we list the potential ways of transliterating Polish Ashkenazi בֵּית, בֵֿית, פֵֿא [bajs], [vajs], [faj]? I already have transliterations in mind, but I want to see them.
(03-03-2019, 05:07 PM)squee100 Wrote: Can we list the potential ways of transliterating Polish Ashkenazi בֵּית, בֵֿית, פֵֿא [bajs], [vajs], [faj]? I already have transliterations in mind, but I want to see them.

Welcome to the forum, squee100.

The letters are transliterated as beyz, veyz, pey, and fey in Galvin and Tamarkin's The Yiddish Dictionary Sourcebook: A Transliterated Guide to the Yiddish Language (Ktav Publishing House, 1986).  While the authors of this work have chosen not to stick exclusively to the YIVO Institute's standardization of Yiddish, they also don't specifically differentiate between various European dialects.  So, I don't know how helpful this will be for you.
Heart !לחיים

(03-04-2019, 12:39 AM)Channalee Wrote:
(03-03-2019, 05:07 PM)squee100 Wrote: Can we list the potential ways of transliterating Polish Ashkenazi בֵּית, בֵֿית, פֵֿא [bajs], [vajs], [faj]? I already have transliterations in mind, but I want to see them.

The letters are transliterated as beyz, veyz, pey, and fey in Galvin and Tamarkin's The Yiddish Dictionary Sourcebook: A Transliterated Guide to the Yiddish Language (Ktav Publishing House, 1986).  While the authors of this work have chosen not to stick exclusively to the YIVO Institute's standardization of Yiddish, they also don't specifically differentiate between various European dialects.  So, I don't know how helpful this will be for you.
I'm looking for something with the vowel more readable to an English speaker as [aj]. "ey" makes that sound in eye and geyser, but no other words that I'm aware of.
(03-04-2019, 01:13 AM)squee100 Wrote:

I'm looking for something with the vowel more readable to an English speaker as [aj]. "ey" makes that sound in eye and geyser, but no other words that I'm aware of.

In the book I cited, "ey" makes the same sound as in the English words "grey" and "prey."
Heart !לחיים

(03-04-2019, 03:55 AM)Channalee Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 01:13 AM)squee100 Wrote:

In the book I cited, "ey" makes the same sound as in the English words "grey" and "prey."
So that's [ej], then. can we get some transliterations for those letter names with [aj] (English long-i sound)?
I don't understand this thread. Can you clarify what exactly you're asking for?
(03-04-2019, 01:57 PM)Jason Wrote: I don't understand this thread. Can you clarify what exactly you're asking for?

The Polish Ashkenazi pronunciation gives the letter names בֵּית, בֵֿית, פֵֿא the pronuncations b-long i (as in time, not machine)-s, v-long i (as in time, not machine)-s, f-long i (as in time, not machine) respectively. Can we get ways of representing those pronunciations in English letters?
(03-04-2019, 04:18 AM)squee100 Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 03:55 AM)Channalee Wrote: In the book I cited, "ey" makes the same sound as in the English words "grey" and "prey."
So that's [ej], then. can we get some transliterations for those letter names with [aj] (English long-i sound)?

In that same book that I cited, they transliterate Yiddish words with the "English long-i sound" using the letters "ay."

There's also an old (and much-beloved by Americans) book by the late Leo Rosten titled The Joys of Yiddish and, in it, Rosten generally transliterates the "English long-i sound" with the letters "ei"  (as in gesundheit).  Rosten generally transliterates the "English long-a sound" with the letters "ey" or "ay" (as in treyf or trayf).

Newer editions of Rosten's book provide both Rosten's original transliterations as well as the YIVO standardized transliterations.

The original Yiddish transliterations in Rosten's book are supposed to favor the southern dialect ("Poylish") pronunciation of Yiddish – which is representative of Jews from Poland to Romania and the Ukraine.  This is also the dialect that was preferred for the Yiddish theater in America.
Heart !לחיים

(03-05-2019, 03:36 AM)squee100 Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 01:57 PM)Jason Wrote: I don't understand this thread. Can you clarify what exactly you're asking for?

The Polish Ashkenazi pronunciation gives the letter names בֵּית, בֵֿית, פֵֿא the pronuncations b-long i (as in time, not machine)-s, v-long i (as in time, not machine)-s, f-long i (as in time, not machine) respectively. Can we get ways of representing those pronunciations in English letters?

Using the IPA might make things better understood. I cannot imagine why tsere-yod would be the diphthong /ɑɪ/ ("long i"). It should be /eɪ/ (long a) if it is a diphthong. The /ɑɪ/ diphthong would be patach-yod(-chirik).

I would read these as /beɪs/, /veɪs/, and /feɪ/, not as /bɑɪs/, /vɑɪs/, and /fɑɪ/. I don't know if Polish Yiddish is different from every other Yiddish, but that's how I understand the vowels to be represented.
Photo 
Maybe this will help:
[Image: getfile.ashx?id=bf581298d22a4784bf397143...&width=610]
Polish Ashkenazic is Mid Eastern Ashkenazic. ey is long a in base. ay is long i in time, but only represents that sound in ay and aye, so I would prefer a different spelling. I would also like to remind that I am talking specfically about the letter names .בֵּית, בֵֿית, פֵֿא