The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hebrew: Flowers of Israel
I recently read that Israel's national flower had been changed from the רקפת (rakefet/cyclamen) to the כלנית (kalanit/anemone).  Here is the article in Hebrew:  https://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L...84,00.html

Question for Israeli citizens:  Was there a lot of interest among Israelis for the vote for a national flower?  I personally find it interesting, because I like flower gardens.  It was fun to see what the popular flowers of Israel happen to be by reading about the runners-up in the National Flower competition.

Question for Hebrew speakers:  I tried Google translate on the article, because I'm not exactly conversant in Hebrew.  I found the Google translation to be a little unsatisfactory in regard to the flower names (and, of course, the Google translation didn't provide transliterations).  So I decided to take a stab at it, myself.  Can you please make any necessary corrections to the list below?  Thanks!

COMPETITION FOR THE NATIONAL FLOWER OF ISRAEL
1st Place:  כלנית kalanit (anemone)
2nd Place:  רקפת rakefet (cyclamen)
3rd Place:  ארגמן אירוס argaman iris (purple iris)
4th Place:  חצב chatzav (squill)
5th Place:  דם המכבים dam hamakabim ("blood of the Maccabees"/red everlasting)
6th Place:  נרקיס narkis (daffodil)
7th Place:   צחור שושן tzachor shoshan (white lily)
8th Place:   חוף חבצלת chof chavatzelet (beach lily)
9th Place:  הרים צבעוני harim tzivoni (mountains tulip)
10th Place:  חורש אדמונית choresh admonit (wood peony)

I especially love how so many flower names in Hebrew also happen to be in use as Hebrew names for girls:

Admona, Admonit
Chatzav (also a boy's name)
Chavatzelet
Iris, Irit
Kalanit
Narkis, Narkisit
Rakefet
Shoshan, Shoshana, Shoshi
Heart !לחיים