The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World Religion Student looking for a partner
Hello, everyone. I helped everybody is well. 

As part of my college studies, I've enrolled in a World Religion course because I think it's very important we respect one another, no matter if our beliefs differ. A part of the course, I have to have a conversation with someone of a different religion, which I condone since I still feel far too ignorant when it comes to other beliefs. 

I'm a Christian, though I can't really identify it beyond that. I was wondering if anyone of a different religion would be willing to speak with me. There won't be any personal questions, and I promise to respect your beliefs. 

Thanks.
Hello Southerngirl and welcome to the forum!

Just to let you know, the first 3 posts are moderated to keep out spam and bots.

Sure, I think there are several members here that would be happy to speak to you.

Fire away with your questions an we'll answer them to the best of our knowledge.

Glad you found us!
(04-24-2019, 05:16 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote: Hello Southerngirl and welcome to the forum!

Just to let you know, the first 3 posts are moderated to keep out spam and bots.

Sure, I think there are several members here that would be happy to speak to you.

Fire away with your questions an we'll answer them to the best of our knowledge.

Glad you found us!

Thank you so much! I apologize for any ignorance. I'm from a very small community who doesn't have a lot of religious diversity, and there's only so much you can learn from a book. 

As I mentioned, I'm a Christian. Religious studies consider both Jewish and Christian religions to be based in history (our bible and the Jewish Tanakh). We have Bible Studies, in which we gather around and study the Bible as one would study a language in school. I assume it's the same with the Tanakh so I was curious if there's an official name for such a service and if it's like Bible Studies. 

There are a lot of subsets with the Christian faith, but in my area, most people aren't too harsh on one another. There are, however, some that believe in more strict rules who think others aren't faithful enough. Is that true for the Jewish religion as well?

On a personal level, how much would you say the Jewish faith shapes your identity? Using me as an example,  there are certain jobs I couldn't take without it conflicting with my faith, and then I would be unhappy. 

Thanks for the help!
(04-24-2019, 11:01 PM)southerngirl Wrote:
(04-24-2019, 05:16 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote: Hello Southerngirl and welcome to the forum!

Glad you found us!

Thank you so much! I apologize for any ignorance. I'm from a very small community who doesn't have a lot of religious diversity, and there's only so much you can learn from a book. 

As I mentioned, I'm a Christian. Religious studies consider both Jewish and Christian religions to be based in history (our bible and the Jewish Tanakh). We have Bible Studies, in which we gather around and study the Bible as one would study a language in school. I assume it's the same with the Tanakh so I was curious if there's an official name for such a service and if it's like Bible Studies. 

There are a lot of subsets with the Christian faith, but in my area, most people aren't too harsh on one another. There are, however, some that believe in more strict rules who think others aren't faithful enough. Is that true for the Jewish religion as well?

On a personal level, how much would you say the Jewish faith shapes your identity? Using me as an example,  there are certain jobs I couldn't take without it conflicting with my faith, and then I would be unhappy. 

Thanks for the help!
What part of the South? I grew up as a Jewish kid in Arkansas, Alabama, and Mississippi.

Glad you found us!

Thanks for the help!

No need to apologize!

Yes, we have many ways of studying Torah. Some are smaller Torah classes and others are in bigger venues. It is a constant ongoing journey we are on. Not sure if there is an "official" name for it though. We also break down the Torah into segments called "parsha". Each week we study a different one (or 2 in some cases) and usually a corresponding text from a different part of the Tanach.

Yes, there are different denominations within Judaism that adhere to the commandments differently and even within those denominations there are those that are stricter than others.

Judaism shapes my identity by providing guidelines and instructions on how to live life, to better myself and for the better of mankind.

Not sure if those answers are too general or not, but it's a starting point!
As SMR mentioned, it's common for Jews to study the parsha of the week, either individually or at the shabbat table. We are less likely to have formal "bible studies" than Christians are. My own shul and kollel have a weekly bible study, the shul is studying Samuel 1&2 both at the congregation and online while the kollel has a study session on Psalms. Many Jews put more emphasis on studying Jewish law, so Talmud studies are very popular.

They are several sects within Judaism, and within those sects there are variations. And unfortunately there are some that look down at others because they do no think they follow the rules strict enough, and others who look down on others because they think they follow them too strictly.

As far as identity, I also agree with SMR that Judaism provides instructions on how to live life, and as such pretty much defines what I do every day. There are things I cannot eat, things I cannot do if it conflicts with shabbat, ways to do things and prayer and other activities that are done at set times. All those things make being a Jew always in the fore front of one's mind.
(04-25-2019, 02:39 PM)Chavak Wrote: All those things make being a Jew always in the fore front of one's mind.

And I might add -

All those things make being a Jew always in the fore front of one's mind by connecting to G-d.
(04-25-2019, 11:35 AM)Aryeh Wrote:

Glad you found us!

Thanks for the help!
What part of the South? I grew up as a Jewish kid in Arkansas, Alabama, and Mississippi.

Kentucky! I'm sure there are some Jewish residents somewhere, but none that I have been able to find. Catholic seems to be as 'different' as we get. 

It's really fascinating to know that might not be true for all Southern states. Were you able to find Jewish communities in those states?
(04-25-2019, 12:12 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote:

Glad you found us!

Thanks for the help!

No need to apologize!

Yes, we have many ways of studying Torah. Some are smaller Torah classes and others are in bigger venues. It is a constant ongoing journey we are on. Not sure if there is an "official" name for it though. We also break down the Torah into segments called "parsha". Each week we study a different one (or 2 in some cases) and usually a corresponding text from a different part of the Tanach.

Yes, there are different denominations within Judaism that adhere to the commandments differently and even within those denominations there are those that are stricter than others.

Judaism shapes my identity by providing guidelines and instructions on how to live life, to better myself and for the better of mankind.

Not sure if those answers are too general or not, but it's a starting point!

These answers are great. Thanks! Studying something and speaking to someone who lives it are two different things. It sounds odd to admit, but this board is my first time speaking to the Jewish community. 

So, the Torah is one part of the Tanach, right? It's like learning a new language! So, piggybacking that question, we also have Sunday school, which is more targeted to children. It's done through fun and games to help them understand the basics. Is there a Jewish version? 

While the Jewish community is larger than some others, the US seems to predominately Christian. This might not apply if you live in a Jewish-heavy community, but if not, do you find people less understanding of your Jewish traditions? For example, many businesses are closed on Christmas, which Christians consider to be the day Christ was born. Obviously, other people of different believes still celebrate it.
(04-25-2019, 02:39 PM)Chavak Wrote: As SMR mentioned, it's common for Jews to study the parsha of the week, either individually or at the shabbat table. We are less likely to have formal "bible studies" than Christians are. My own shul and kollel have a weekly bible study, the shul is studying Samuel 1&2 both at the congregation and online while the kollel has a study session on Psalms. Many Jews put more emphasis on studying Jewish law, so Talmud studies are very popular.

They are several sects within Judaism, and within those sects there are variations. And unfortunately there are some that look down at others because they do no think they follow the rules strict enough, and others who look down on others because they think they follow them too strictly.

As far as identity, I also agree with SMR that Judaism provides instructions on how to live life, and as such pretty much defines what I do every day. There are things I cannot eat, things I cannot do if it conflicts with shabbat, ways to do things and prayer and other activities that are done at set times. All those things make being a Jew always in the fore front of one's mind.

Thank you so much for the reply!

One of the first things we learned in class is how language can be a barrier when it comes to religions understanding one another, and I've seen that to be true. I've learned so many new words when studying the different religions. 

In regarding things you can't eat: it's always seemed fascinating to me (I like food, lol). As a Christian, I don't have that specific limitation, but it makes me wonder how well the world understands. Big cities are getting increasingly aware of people who are vegan and other diets. Do you find it difficult to be social and maintain that? Is it getting easy?