The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is your congregation growing?
Just curious for those of you who attend shul, is your congregation growing, shrinking, or staying about the same?
The Chabad shul I attend on occasion has been stagnant for years, very little growth other than all the kids the chabadniks have.
The other Orthodox congregation I attend on occasion has been growing a lot, it needs a much bigger space and is currently fund raising to enlarge the building.
Most of the growth is coming from younger families moving into the area.
I don't keep up with the other congregations in town, so am not sure what is up with the Reform and Conservative end of things.
I've noticed something similar here.

The Chabad's are pretty stable but there are neighborhoods where the Orthodox communities are starting new and/or expanding.

Not sure about the other denominations either.
My (former) synagogue's membership declined to the point that it was no longer sustainable and so it merged (read "submerged") with another shul. Despite the opportunities presented, change is hard ...
To be is to stand for. - Abraham Joshua Heschel
(05-14-2019, 03:08 PM)nili Wrote: My (former) synagogue's membership declined to the point that it was no longer sustainable and so it merged (read "submerged") with another shul. Despite the opportunities presented, change is hard ...

That used to be the trend in my area too, then current shuls began growing and new congregations started popping up.
My Reform congregation is growing quite rapidly. They are working now to come up with a plan for building a new building. They have also been getting new grants each year from the local Federation. I don't know how my previous Conservative shul is doing but they just hired a new Rabbi after like 40 years. I am thinking of going back to that congregation.
(05-19-2019, 05:12 PM)Dena Wrote: My Reform congregation is growing quite rapidly....  I don't know how my previous Conservative shul is doing..... I am thinking of going back to that congregation.

Because??
בקש שלום ורדפהו
Just growing older.