The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Book Study-Prager's Rational Bible
A few of us have been interested in starting a study group using Dennis Prager's Rational Bible series. 
There are two books, the first was Exodus and the new one is Genesis. If you are interested in this, would you prefer to start with Genesis or would you rather start with the first book of the series, Exodus? Only reason I am asking is that since Exodus has been out for awhile it's probably possible to find used copies at reasonable prices.
I'll leave the decision on which book to start with, open. It does not really matter to me.  I've received both Exodus and Genesis and have been leafing through Genesis, only because it is Genesis.  I especially wanted to read Mr. Prager's commentary for some specific groups of people that would be reading his books.  The Jewish, Christian and Non-Religious Readers and thought his comments were very good!

Amazon also has some reasonable prices for used books on Exodus that are in good shape.
I would prefer Genesis, might as well start at the beginning! SMR was also interested and should be back in a day or two. We can decide after he weighs in.
Actually, now that I think about it maybe we should start with Exodus. That is where Prager started, and there is probably a reason for it.
Sorry. I would love to participate in a text study but I have zero interest in focusing on Prager.
To be is to stand for. - Abraham Joshua Heschel
(05-25-2019, 01:55 PM)nili Wrote: Sorry. I would love to participate in a text study but I have zero interest in focusing on Prager.

Join in when we start but use a different text. I'm sure Prager focuses on issues common to other editions of the Torah. Hopefully we can get started soon!
(05-24-2019, 08:33 PM)Chavak Wrote: Actually, now that I think about it maybe we should start with Exodus. That is where Prager started, and there is probably a reason for it.

Yes, there actually is a reason and he states it in the introduction of Exodus. "The primary reason I began my commentary with the second book of the Torah, Exodus, and not the first, Genesis, is that Exodus contains the Ten Commandments, the most important moral code in world history, and the central moral code of the Torah. If people lived by those ten laws alone, the world would be almost devoid of all man-made suffering."
(05-26-2019, 01:09 PM)Dana Wrote:
(05-24-2019, 08:33 PM)Chavak Wrote: Actually, now that I think about it maybe we should start with Exodus. That is where Prager started, and there is probably a reason for it.

Yes, there actually is a reason and he states it in the introduction of Exodus. "The primary reason I began my commentary with the second book of the Torah, Exodus, and not the first, Genesis, is that Exodus contains the Ten Commandments, the most important moral code in world history, and the central moral code of the Torah. If people lived by those ten laws alone, the world would be almost devoid of all man-made suffering."
So do you think we should start there, or does it not really matter? Thinking a little more, it seems to make sense to start in Genesis. But since I don't have either copy yet, I'm not sure.
(05-26-2019, 03:29 PM)Chavak Wrote:
(05-26-2019, 01:09 PM)Dana Wrote:

So do you think we should start there, or does it not really matter? Thinking a little more, it seems to make sense to start in Genesis. But since I don't have either copy yet, I'm not sure.

I understand and appreciate why Dennis Prager chose to write Exodus first, and having finished his book The Ten Commandments - Still The Best Moral Code, even more so. I would go with Genesis only because it is the first book of the Torah and I tend to prefer studying in sequence order. Otherwise, I'm fine with starting Exodus if others decide to do so.
Okay, I'm for starting with Exodus. Makes sense to start at the beginning!