The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Torah study
Has this forum ever attempted Torah study that begins with Genesis and works (plods?) its way through the Chumash?
To be is to stand for. - Abraham Joshua Heschel
As far as I can remember, the one we are doing with Prager's book is the first time. Before we just had a section people could put up studies that they like. But there was no formal study.
Back in the days before the forum crashed and had to be reinvented there were a lot more categories in a wider variety of subforums.

I don't recall any systemic Torah studies, but there were parts of Torah that were brought up for discussion and occasional divrei Torah that were posted - some by me - that were open for further discussion.

I realize that in some ways the discussion of the Prager book(s) lend themselves to such study, but not completely because they will probably evoke comments that are more reactive to his comments rather than a wide range discussion of the actual Torah text.

If you think Torah study is valuable - and who wouldn't - perhaps you'd like to post the opening thread.
בקש שלום ורדפהו
If I'm not mistaken, at one time we were studying the Parsha's.
(06-07-2019, 03:10 PM)RabbiO Wrote: Back in the days before the forum crashed and had to be reinvented there were a lot more categories in a wider variety of subforums.

I don't recall any systemic Torah studies, but there were parts of Torah that were brought up for discussion and occasional divrei Torah that were posted - some by me - that were open for further discussion.

I realize that in some ways the discussion of the Prager book(s) lend themselves to such study, but not completely because they will probably evoke comments that are more reactive to his comments rather than a wide range discussion of the actual Torah text.

If you think Torah study is valuable - and who wouldn't - perhaps you'd like to post the opening thread.

It appears as if there is neither the interest nor the critical mass to sustain a decent Torah thread, and I lack the skill to lead such an effort.
(06-07-2019, 08:52 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote: If I'm not mistaken, at one time we were studying the Parsha's.

While the parashot work well for services, I've always found them to be less so when it comes to text study. Too often there is simply too much of worth to handle in a single week. The triennial cycle helps some, but I'd much rather plod through the works verse by verse. For one thing, in my opinion it's simply the best way to stumble upon new discoveries and perspectives. There's just so much there.
(06-11-2019, 12:28 PM)nili Wrote:
(06-07-2019, 08:52 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote: If I'm not mistaken, at one time we were studying the Parsha's.

While the parashot work well for services, I've always found them to be less so when it comes to text study. Too often there is simply too much of worth to handle in a single week. The triennial cycle helps some, but I'd much rather plod through the works verse by verse. For one thing, in my opinion it's simply the best way to stumble upon new discoveries and perspectives. There's just so much there.

I agree, there is so much to be discovered in every verse in Torah. At one of the Torah studies I used to attend, it took 8 years just to go through the book of Genesis! Of course there were a couple of breaks here and there, but it shows how much info can be found if you really dig deep into each word.
(06-11-2019, 12:31 PM)searchinmyroots Wrote:
(06-11-2019, 12:28 PM)nili Wrote:

I agree, there is so much to be discovered in every verse in Torah. At one of the Torah studies I used to attend, it took 8 years just to go through the book of Genesis! Of course there were a couple of breaks here and there, but it shows how much info can be found if you really dig deep into each word.

Eight years? Wow! I don't know if that's impressive or excessive. Smile
Perhaps we can study certain sections that people find meaningful? I agree, trying to do a complete study could be complex.