The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Movie recommendations
I just finished watching Ha Ushpizin. I hit play because I wanted to watch a Hebrew movie with subtitles for language learning, not knowing what the movie was about, and ended up really enjoying it (For those unfamiliar with it, it is about an orthodox couple facing unexpected trials on Sukkot, a bit like a religious fairy tale and a tad cheesy at times, but also humorous).

Do you have any recommendations for movies with Hebrew as the original language, with a similar theme? Or any other movies (either in Hebrew or with something to do with Judaism in the broadest sense, no matter the genre) you'd like to recommend? Smile
I saw that movie as well, several years ago.

Didn't know where it was going in the beginning but turned out to be a good movie!

Not to sure of other movies that are in Hebrew with subtitles, maybe Guy can provide some suggestions.
I'd think maybe Fauda or Shtisel, two great series that are on Netflix (at least, where I am).

I'm not sure what movies you have access to where you live.
Hi, thank you both!
Great recommendations! I've wanted to watch Shtisel after it was mentioned somewhere (over at the hebrew forums maybe?), but last time I checked it was not available here. Your message made me check it again and now it is. Smile

For Fauda I've heard that there is also a lot of Arabic, is it still mainly in Hebrew?

Thanks again!
Yes, Fauda has a lot of Arabic... but they should have subtitles in Hebrew. For that matter, Shtisel has a lot of Yiddish! Smile
Wow these are such great recommendations, definitely going to watch them as anyway i am quarantined at home.
Shtisel is great!  I'm well into the episode and love the way the characters and interactions among the family members are portrayed.  I know my Hebrew language skills of listening, (harder than reading) have improved just from watching.
Today we watched a movie called The Song of Names. It's about a survivor of a family that was murdered at Treblinka first cursing Judaism and cutting himself off from it, only later to come back to it. He had disappeared off the face of the earth, and his friend sought him out all of his adult life, only to find him later living in Crown Heights as a Chasid.

I wouldn't say that it was exactly riveting, but it's certainly relevant to the last week, in which we had Holocaust and Heroism Remembrance Day and now Memorial Day in Israel. It's important to find the heroes in our own lives, both Jews and non-Jews, who have made our existence better through their generosity and love.
(04-26-2020, 07:46 PM)Dana Wrote: Shtisel is great!  I'm well into the episode and love the way the characters and interactions among the family members are portrayed.  I know my Hebrew language skills of listening, (harder than reading) have improved just from watching.
Is it only on Netflix? I don't have it.
(04-27-2020, 11:34 PM)Chavak Wrote:
(04-26-2020, 07:46 PM)Dana Wrote: Shtisel is great!  I'm well into the episode and love the way the characters and interactions among the family members are portrayed.  I know my Hebrew language skills of listening, (harder than reading) have improved just from watching.
Is it only on Netflix? I don't have it.

I'm fairly sure it's only available on Netflix.