The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help me to understand my ancestors
(09-13-2019, 02:03 AM)h0zzyb33 Wrote: ...When visiting the synagogue in Budapest the guide told me I was definitely Jewish...

...I have seen many victims with the surname Briess, which I think could have been anglicised...
How would this guide be certain? Were the synygogues in eastern Europe in charge of keeping records on births, deaths and marriages? Given that Hungary was under Austro-Hungarian rule, I'm assuming that such records were kept by local governments, with the possible exemption under the brief period of Ottoman rule during which previous functions of government have been rendered obsolete.
I myself have a very distant relative of whom I'm near certain was Jewish, given that the other person named likewise is a dead wringer for one: https://www.myheritage.de/names/simon_karpa and would like to trace this ancestor. Possibly making matters more difficult than in your case, my grandmother's grandfather (Simon Karpa), who most likely wasn't born before the early 1800s, is documented to have lived in Macedonia (recently renamed "North Macedonia"  Rolleyes) The only known synagogue I was able to find in Macedonia is located in Skopje. Would it be feasable to look there for any records of this ancestor or am I looking in the wrong place?
Answering your second quote, it's actually the other way around, if.

Messages In This Thread
Help me to understand my ancestors - by h0zzyb33 - 09-13-2019, 02:03 AM
RE: Help me to understand my ancestors - by Alan_Boskov - 06-21-2021, 05:52 AM