The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introduction: Hi from Berlin
Hello again,

I am not sure if I had properly introduced myself in the old forums, but some might have read my "feeling drawn to Judaism" thread. And this is how I found that board. I searched for exactly that phrase, landed here and found some very helpful information as well as a very kind group of forum members. Smile

I am not jewish but I feel drawn to Judaism. I was raised without a religious affiliation, but got insights into Christianity by various activities, school and and groups, but it never felt right for me and I opted out. The attraction towards Judaism has always been there, in the back of my mind, but since I (falsely) learned that you cannot convert to Judaism, I never thought about becoming jewish myself. I led a life without religion and just sometimes wondered if there are others where my belief system (in lack of a better word) might fit in. When I was travelling to Israel last September, I used the opportunity to learn more (or, better phrased, started learning) about the religion and culture. A lot of things klicked for me, there were many congruencies and I completely felt "at home" somehow. 
Encouraged by the forum ( Blush ) I started contacting different synagogues when I returned home and attended services at a reform one which welcomed me warmly. After that, I felt a bit overwhelmed and took some time for more or less quiet consideration if this path feels right. I read more. I am very thankful for the recommendations I got here - I enjoy reading "A code of jewish ethics" currently and it is definitely a wonderful book that impacts me profoundly. I attend political and cultural events and continue learning. The synagogue offered me to join their bi-weekly adult education sessions and I am looking forward to attending. Right now, I am struggling a bit to integrate the fixed dates into my somewhat packed work life and I honestly feel a bit worried that I might not be able to attend as regularly as I would like to. But I think that going whenever I can fit it in is better than not going at all. Smile

So far, I feel that getting more and more acquainted with Judaism has become an integral part of my life. It really does not feel like a chore, on the contrary, it feels so important yet at the same time so enjoyable for me. No matter where this path leads to, I feel that this learning is worth it, even if I should end up not wishing to convert in the end.

So, that's my backstory. 

Other than becoming religious, I currently enjoy learning Hebrew, am a hobbyist game-developer and like to make music and sound effects and draw/paint. I live with about 30 plants that I love and do travel by pet- and housesitting. I love reading and enjoy science, arts and the outdoors. I am working in research (Human Computer Interaction, focusing on eye tracking in VR) and have too many interests to fit into one life, but on the positive side, I never get bored. My main joy and ambition in life is to bring joy to others by creating, be it games, my lectures or music. 

Thank you for reading!
Thank you Sarah for your inspiring introduction and welcome back!

Yes, we are all on our own journey's and yours seems to be a very interesting one.

I think you are going about things properly to do what works best for you at this time.

So glad you feel so comfortable with the teachings of Judaism and that it will continue to inspire your life and in turn the life of others!!

Let us know if we can further help you in any way.

Smile
Welcome back, Sarah!  That was a great introduction you wrote!  Have a Jewish/nature name that is an anagram of your forum identity:

Judi Na'ama Shadowstarr
= a_Sarah, drawn to Judaism

Judi (יודי):  pronounced YOO-dee, a diminutive of Yehudit (יהודית), meaning "to praise" or "Jewish woman."

Na'ama (נעמה):  Hebrew name, meaning "loveliness, pleasantness, kindness."
Heart !לחיים

Welcome back!!
בקש שלום ורדפהו
Searchinmyroots, thank you so much for your kind words! Smile

Channalee, thank you! Also for your anagram, it is always fun for me to read those and I like the meaning. Smile

RabbiO, thank you for your welcome! Smile

I am really glad the forum is back up and am looking forward to follow the discussions that will start up anew over time (hopefully!). I enjoyed browsing through all those threads and for someone like me (aka, not knowing much) the forum has been a great help to get started.